Last modified: 2015-07-25 by bruce berry
Keywords: alberton |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Martin Grieve, 22 July 2005
Alberton is a dormitory town located approximately 15km south east of
Johannesburg. It was previously a separate municipality but following
the re-organisation of local government in South Africa, it became part
of the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality in December 2000.
The Town Council of Alberton adopted a new flag and arms on 26 September 1989 as the previous flag and crest used since 1938 were considered heraldically incorrect. This flag is a heraldic banner of the arms registered with the South African Bureau of Heraldry. It was designed by former SAVA member Danie de Waal. The flag is blue with an upright gold chevron on which is a blue cogwheel charged with a white wagon wheel above which is a Latin Cross in blue. The Cross is a symbol of Christianity while the gear symbolises the industrial development of the town and the wagon wheel symbolises the pioneer heritage of the
by Bruce Berry, 07 Sept 2006
The blazon of arms registered by the South African Bureau of Heraldry and granted to Alberton on 16 June 1989 on which the flag was based is as follows:
ARMS: Per chevron, the peak ensigned with a cross humetty issuant, Azure and Or, in base a cog-wheel Azure, charged with a wagon-wheel Argent, at honour point a Latin cross Azure.
CREST: Issuant from a mural crown Azure, masoned Or, a bulrush Brunatre, slipped and leaved Azure.
MANTLING: Or and Azure.
MOTTO: PRAECEDIMUS (We excel).
Following the incorporation of Alberton into Ekhuruleni, these symbols are no longer used.
Bruce Berry, 07 Sept 2006