Last modified: 2012-08-21 by rick wyatt
Keywords: eastport | maine | moose | washington county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 27 September 2007
Based on: www.slwadsworth.com/images/427_CITY_OF_EASTPORT_WEB.jpg
Eastport is a small city—comprised entirely of islands—in Washington County, Maine, United States. The population was 1,640 at the 2000 census. Eastport's principal island is Moose Island, and is the easternmost city (although nearby
Lubec, Maine is the easternmost municipality) in the continental United States.
There is no record of the first European settler, but it is known that ships were encountering one another in the harbor in the 1600s. Eastport was incorporated as a town in 1748. From 1807 to 1809 the town was a center of extensive two-way smuggling during the 1807-1809 embargo the U.S. imposed upon itself. Lubec, on the mainland, split off to be a separate town in 1811. The city was captured by a British fleet under the command of Sir Thomas Hardy on July 11, 1814 as part of the War of 1812, and returned to the United States control in 1818. The boundary between the U.S. and Canada in the area was still disputed at the time, and finally settled by the Webster-Ashburton Treaty in 1842. In 1893 Eastport reincorporated as a city. The population grew with the emergence of the sardine fishery and related canning businesses, which studded the shoreline by the end of the nineteenth century. As the industry declined, many people moved away. The city went bankrupt in 1937. In 1976, the Groundhog Day Gale destroyed many structures on the waterfront.
From Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastport,_Maine.
The flag is blue with the city seal (in gray version) on it. It can be seen on a photo here: www.slwadsworth.com/specialtyproducts.html. The city seal can be seen on municipal website: www.eastport-me.gov/Public_Documents/index.
Valentin Poposki, 25 September 2007
It is a ~3:5 blue flag with the city seal centered on it at approximate diameter two-thirds of the flag's height. The seal is shown in black and white, and it features a moose on a local landscape surrounded by a rim where it reads
"City of Eastport" above and "Incorporated March 3rd 1893".
António Martins-Tuválkin, 27 September 2007