Last modified: 2011-10-21 by rick wyatt
Keywords: calvert county | maryland |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rick Wyatt, 30 June 1999
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Calvert County:
The flag of Calvert County was designed by Mrs. Robert M. Coffin, member of a flag committee set up by the Calvert County Historical Society at the request of the county commissioners. It was first hoisted on May 21, 1966 in St. Leonard, Maryland, and officially adopted by county resolution on June 7, 1966. Apparently a version flew with a brown tobacco leaf (circa 1970) but the official State Senate Resolution of March 17, 1972 notes that the leaf is green.
The colors are yellow (not gold) and black for the Calvert arms (yellow being the county color prescribed by the colonial legislature in 1694) representing the Calvert Arms and a green tobacco leaf that represents the county's growth (note: tobacco was considered the currency in Maryland during the colonial era).
Sources: Calvert County Historical Society records
Phillip L. Nelson, 8 August 2002