Last modified: 2017-09-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: aksaray | sultanhanı | yenikent |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Aksaray, current and former versions - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 24 February 2015, and Jens Pattke, 15 October 2012, respectively
The flag of Aksaray (photo) is white with the municipality's emblem in the middle. The former flag of Aksaray (photo) was blue with the municipality's emblem in the middle. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
Tomislav Šipek, 24 February 2015
Flag of Sultanhanı, current and former version - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 10 September 2015
The municipality of Sultanhanı (10,330 inhabitants in 2010) is located 40 km of Aksaray.
The flag of Sultanhanı is white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality". The former flag of Sultanhanı (photo, photo) was white with the municipality's former emblem.
The emblem of the municipality features the Sultan Han caravanserai, the biggest and most visited in Turkey.
This is the largest, but not the oldest, of the Sultan hans, and is perhaps the most beautiful and impressive of all. It holds an important place in the history of Seljuk architecture. The most remarkable features of this structure are the arcaded courtyard, the twin majestic portals of the entry vestibule and the covered section, the vaulting system supported by piers, and the free-standing kiosk mosque rising on four piers in the middle of the courtyard. The stone decoration of the mosque and the portals is noteworthy for its elegance and artistic mastery.
The han lies parallel to the road, and faces south-west towards Aksaray. The Sultan Han is in the group of "classical plan" hans, that is, comprised of two parts: a huge enclosed hall on the south and an open courtyard in front of it. With this han begins the era of the "big" hans: the large-scale construction projects of the Ağzikara, Zazadin, Sultan Han Kayseri, Incir, Susuz, Obruk and Karatay hans.
There are two inscriptions, one over the main door and one over the covered section door. The one over the hall door states that it was built by the Seljuk Sultan Alaeddin Keykubad I in 1229. On the two sides of the arch crowning the portal niche one can read the name of the master-architect inscribed inside two hexagonal medallions: "Amele Muhammed bin Hav (la) n (el-Dimiski)". The word Dimiski indicates the origin of the architect, who came from Damascus.
After being badly damaged by fire in 1278, the han was renovated by the local governor Seraceddin Ahmed Kerimeddin bin El Hasan, as indicated in the inscription over the courtyard. After this extension, it became the largest caravansarai in Anatolia.
[The Seljuk Han of Anatolia]
Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 25 March 2016
Flag of Yenikent - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 10 September 2015
The flag of Yenikent (photo) is white with the municipality's emblem (image). "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
Tomislav Šipek, 10 September 2015