This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nové Zámky city, Slovakia

Nové Zámky okres, Nitra region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: nove zamky |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Nové Zámky Flag

[Nove Zamky Flag] by Antonio Martins on 6 July 1999 after an image found by Jarig Bakker at the Nové Zámky website.

The "Official flag " at the Nové Zámky website is Green and White (the text is as follows:"Vlajka mesta je zlozená zo zeleného a bieleho pruhu, ukoncená tzv. lastovicím chvostom", it means: the city flag is green and white and ends with so called "swallow tail". If the flag is hanging vertically, it shall be described  (from viewers point of view) from left side to the right side. The white and green flag has Nové Mesto nad Váhom.
Aleš Křižan, 23 Jan 2001

Nové Zámky is a modern town in the south-west of Slovakia with a population of about 44,000 and the centre of the district of the same name. The history of the town goes back only some 500 years. The first reference, dated from 1545,mentions the place as a modern defence fortress against the Turks. This wooden fortress was built on the left bank of the River Nitra in 1545. Some years later, in 1571 a new fortress was erected on the other side of the river - that is from where the present name of the town originates. Nove Zamky means "new castles". Known as Castrum Novum, the new fortress had a regular hexagonal ground-plan with six sticking out bastions.
Jarig Bakker

Nové Zámky (Hungarian: Érsekújvár, German Neuhäusel) has 42.923 inhabitants (31,1% Hungarian; 1990 census). In 1910: 16.228 inhabitants (91,4% Hungarians, 5,9% Slovakians and 2,3% Germans). The town was in Nyitra (Slovakian: Nitra) County of Hungary till 1919/1920 (Czechoslovakian occupation). 1920-1938 Czechoslovakian, 1938-1944 Hungarian (after the Decision of Vienna). The Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocated it to Czechoslovakia. The town was founded in 1545 by Pál Várdai, archbishop of Esztergom. The fort 1663-1685 was under Turkish rule. In  1725 the fort was destroyed.
István Molnár, 29 Jun 2000


Nové Zámky 1991 flag

[Nové Zámky 1991 flag] submitted through Rob Raeside, 27 July 1999

Nové Zámky 1979 flag

[Nové Zámky 1979 flag] by Jan Kravčík, 15 June 2000

The flag of the city in 1979.
Jan Kravčík, 15 June 2000

Nové Zámky (Érsekújvár in Hungarian) used a blue-red flag for times, which was the flag of the Prince Rákóczi - they said. The town was the important place at the time of the Prince Rákóczi's War of Independence. The new flag of the town is this flag.
István Molnár, 20 Oct 2000.


Nové Zámky Coat of Arms

Nové Zámky Coat of Arms from http://www.tatrahome.sk/revue/erby/ . (!Link does not work any more!) It can also be seen on the Nové Zámky website.

The layout design of the fortress can still be seen in the coat-of-arms of the town, the contemporary heart of the town is delimited by this hexagon and the names of the six former bastions have been preserved as street names.
Jarig Bakker