Last modified: 2012-08-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: radovljica | wheel (yellow) | man | begunje | discs: 3 (yellow) | srednja dobrava | wheat (brown) | lancovo | ljubno |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Radovljica, horizontal and vertical versions - Images by Željko Heimer, 21 September 2003
The municipality of Radovljica (18,704 inh. in 2009) is divided in the local communities of Begunje (2,281 inhabitants), Brezle (905 inh.), Kamna Gorica (561 inh.), Kropa (963 inh.), Lancovo (888 inh.), Lesce (3,426 inh.), Ljubno (1,042 inh.), Mošnje (407 inh.), Otok (172 inh.), Podnart (1,025 inh.), Radovljica (6,567 inh.) and Srednja Dobrava (467 inh.).
Ivan Sache, 10 October 2010
The coat of arms and flag of Radovljica are prescribed in the
- Statutarni sklep and Odlok o grbu občine Radovljica, both adopted on 12 May 1992 and published on 27 May 1992 in the official Slovene gazette Uradni list Republike Slovenije 25/199;
- (Statutarni sklep) (?), adopted on 26 May 1993 and published on 11 June 1993 in Uradni list Republike Slovenije 31/1993;
- Odlok o spremembi odloka o grbu občine Radovljica, adopted on 26 May 1993 and published on 11 June 1993 in Uradni list Republike Slovenije 1993/31;
- Odlok o simbolih Občine Radovljica (text), adopted on 18 October 1995 and published on 24 November 1995 in the official local gazette Uradni vestnik Gorenjske 35/1995;
- Odlok o sprememba in doplonitvah Odloka o simbolih Občine Radovljica, adopted on 27 October 1999 and published in Uradni vestnik Gorenjske 51/1999.
The flag of Radovljica (text and images), adopted on 26 May 1993, is horizontally divided red-white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The colours are prescribed as follows:
- Travanato green: Pantone 68 2xc - CMYK 76-0-98-5;
- Red: Pantone 85 2xc - CMYK 0-89-81-13;
- Blue: Pantone Reflex Blue 2xc - CMYK 99-82-0-0;
- Yellow: Pantone Yellow 2xc - CMYK 2-1-93-0;
- Flesh colour: Pantone 163c - CMYK 0-30-47-0;
- Black: CMYK 0-0-0-100.
Željko Heimer, 26 June 2010
Coat of arms of Radovljica - Image by Željko Heimer, 21 September 2003
The German name of Radovljica was first Radmansdorf, later changed to
Radmanstadt. The name can be "read" on the coat of arms:
Rad-Mann-Dorf or Rad-Mann-Stadt (Wheel-Man-Village or
In 1514 and 1574, the town used seals (images) with the coat of arms that is still in use today. The oldest coloured version of the coat of arms is from the roll of arms made by Valvasor in 1687/88, kept today in the National Archives in Zagreb.
Uroš Žižmund, Željko Heimer & Ivan Sache, 30 August 2011
Flag of Begunje - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 August 2007
Begunje (975 inhabitants) is a local community within the municipality of Radovljica. The village is dominated by the Begunjčica mountain (2,063 m). It is the home of the internationally-known Elan company, which manufactures skis (Ingmar Stenmark used Elan skis all over his brilliant career), snowboards and sailboats.
The flag of Begunje is red with three yellow disks placed 2 and 1. Quoting / translating a text from the parish website:
The current flag and coat of arms were first shown in public on 4 May 2004, during the ceremonial session of the Council of the Local Community of Begunje, on the local holyday, 4th May. The proposal for those was prepared by Stane Adam amd Jure Sinobad, based on the methodolocial principles required by the heraldry. In the description of the coat of arms, they wrote:
'The inherited state of the nobility on the fort of Kamen and in Poljče in Begunje is the coat of arms granted in the 14th century. The family from the fort of Kamen used a coat of arms with a ball [roundel] in the shield. The increase of the family and emigration in the beginning of the 14th century made the coat of arms being inherited around. For differentiation, the families adopted the coats of arms with one, two or three balls. The Pfeffl family, from the castle near the church, and the latter Rain (or Rainer) family used three balls on the shield. In the heraldic literature, the Rainer coat of arms is documented as three golden balls on a red shield.
The coat of arms of Rain of Begunje is the coat of arms of the first inhabitants of the Begunje fort, therefore also the coat of arms of the fort and town. The coat of arms of Begunje is autochtonous and is also a symbolic inheritance of ancient Begunje or Njivice, the medieval town and the family from the time when coats of arms were being adopted. The proposal for the coat of arms of Begunje has its symbolic source in the local mythology, its historic source in the fort of Kamen and its heraldic source in the place itself - in Begunje fort and in the fort's family.'
Ivan Sache & Željko Heimer, 9 August 2007
Flag of Lancovo - Image by Pascal Gross, 22 February 2009
The flag (image) of Lancovo, to be displayed vertically, is vertically divided yellow-blue with the community's coat of arms in the middle.
Pascal Gross & Ivan Sache, 22 February 2009
The flag (image) of Ljubno (478 inhabitants in 2002), to be displayed vertically, is vertically
divided yellow-red with the coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms of Ljubno is vertically divided black-yellow with a jar (?) countercolored overall.
Ivan Sache, 4 April 2009
Flag of the local community of Radovljica, horizontal and vertical versions, and long banner - Images by Ivan Sache, 30 August 2011
The local community of Radovljica (proper) does not use the same flag
as the municipality of Radovlica, but uses the same coat of arms.
The flag is described in a contribution, dated 27 March 2007, by Jure Sinobad (community website), with vexillological credit to Iztok Šorli. The primary sources are given as:
- Jure Sinobad, Izrok Šorli, Zastava mesta in občine Radovljica, 1993 (typescript and graphical material kept in the municipal archives);
- Stane Adam, Nastanek trga in župnije v Radovljici, samozaložba, 2000.
Mentioned for the first time on 24 March 1169, Radovljica was caught
in the late 13th century in a dynastic quarrel that involved the
Counts of Ortenburg, a noble family from the Duchy of Carinthia. When
Count Herman I died in 1256, his sons Henry V and Frederick I struggled
for the county, until Duke Ulrich of Carinthia settled the dispute in
1263 by splitting the county. Henry was granted the best part of the
county, including Castle Ortenburg and its market; Frederick sought to
create his own market town in Radovljica. Henry died in 1270, which
allowed Frederick to reunite the county. This did not prevent him to
develop Radovljica, whose market was mentioned for the first time in
1333. The last Count of Ortenburg, Frederick III, died without heirs in
1418 and the county was inherited by the Counts of Celje.
Since Radovljica was founded and increased by the counts of Ortenburg, it is logical to use on the town's flag an element recalling the coat of arms of the Ortenburg, that is the red triangle pointing upwards on a white field and charged with a white angel's wing. A baroque medallion charged with the arms of the Counts of Ortenburg can still be seen over the southern window of the presbytery of the parish church of Lesce (a village part of the municipality of Radovljica), facing a medallion charged with the arms of the Counts of Celje, placed over the northern window. The arms of the Counts of Ortenburg are also shown on a roll from the 15th century, kept in the Antwerp Municipal Library.
The triangle is a common feature in the town's landscape. The old town of Radovljica was built on a triangle-shaped alluvial terrace dominating river Sava. Moreover, the Sava, the longest river in Slovenia, is formed downstream the town by the triangular confluence of the Bohinj Sava and the Dolinj Sava. Finally, the triangular spire of the St. Peter church, forming a triangle with a vertical axis, is a characteristic element of the regional landscape.
Accordingly, the flag of the local community of Radovljica is white with a red triangle. The red and white parts have the same area and the proportions of the flag are 2:3. In the horizontal version of the flag, the red triangle points towards the hoist, while in the vertical version of the flag, it points upwards. A vertical, narrow banner, with proportions 3.5:1 is also illustrated.
Željko Heimer & Ivan Sache, 30 August 2011
Flag of the local community of Srednja Dobrava, horizontal and vertical versions - Images by Eugene Ipavec, 21 July 2012
The flag of Srednja Dobrava is vertically divided brown-white-brown (1:2:1) with a stylized brown wheat spike in the middle (image, no longer online). The vertical version of the flag has the wheat spike not rotated (photo, no longer online).
Ivan Sache, 30 August 2011