Last modified: 2013-06-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: knic | monastery | lake (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Knić - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 10 March 2010
The municipality of Knić (16,148 inhabitants in 2002; 413 sq. km) is located in the region of Šumadija, central Serbia. The municipality of Knić is made of the village of Knić proper (2,294 inh.) and 35 other settlements.
Knić is the birth place of Voivod Stevan Petrović Knićanin (1807-1855), a hero of the 1848-49 revolution. Appointed commander of the Serbian Volunteers in Vojvodina, Knićanin won significant victories in Pančevo and Vršac.
Ivan Sache, 3 April 2010
The flag and arms of Knić were adopted by the Municipal Council in 2009.
The flag of Knić is white with a yellow fringe and the greater municipal arms in the middle.
The coat of arms and flag of the municipality of Knić can be used only in the form, content and manner prescribed by the Law, Statutes and Decisions on the design of the emblem and flag of the municipality of Knić and rules of use of the arms and municipal flag of Knić (Official Municipal Gazette, 2/09).
The greater municipal arms are made of four quarters surmonting a red
scroll with the writing ОПШТИНА КНИЋ (Municipality of
Knić); on the right of the emblem, a spear bears a square banner with four firesteels, representing Serbia.
The upper left quarter includes a stylized representation of the Kamenac monastery (photo), symbolizing the spiritual, cultural and historical features of the municipality.
The upper right quarter represents a karstic landscape and the medieval town of Borac, a specific natural and historical heritage of the municipality.
The lower left quarter represents Lakes Gružan, another natural feature of the municipality.
The lower right quarter, also used as the lesser municipal arms, "integrates" the three previous quarters into the word КНИЋ. The brown frames dividing this quarter represent the cultivated area of Žitna, mostly grown in maize, wheat and barley.
In the two upper quarters, the wavy blue lines represent the sky, freedom and libertarian spirit. The green, overlapping circles represent woods.
The "integrated" municipal emblem is itself divided into four quarters.
The upper left quarter shows a karstic landscape surmonting by a
cross. Overall, the red letter К represents the Christian religion.
Red and blue (the colour of the sky) also recall the Serbian national
The upper right quarter recalls the area of Lakes Gružan; the horizontal arms of letter Н represents the bridge over the lakes.
The lower left quarter represents meadows and pastures associated with small hills; it is charged with letter И.
The lower right quarter represents the region of Šumadija, famous for its fruit trees; it is charged with letter Ћ.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sarajčić & Ivan Sache, 3 April 2010