Last modified: 2012-10-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: kacanik |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Kačanik - Image by André Coutanche, 8 November 2007
The municipality of Kačanik (38,010 inhabitants in 1991, mostly ethnic
Albanians; 306 sq. km) is located in south-eastern Kosovo, on the
border with Macedonia. It is made of the town of Kačanik and 42
villages, most of them being inaccessible during winter.
According to the article "A contribution to the history of Kačanik" published in Russian by O. Zirojević in Glasnik Ethnografskog Instituta (Review of the Institute of Ethnography), 1993, 42, 156-160, Kaçanik is said to have been funded by the Turks, the name of Kačanik being related with the Turkish words kaçmak, to flee, and kaçak, refugee, renegade. Turkish sources, however, claim that Kačanik already existed in the Middle Ages (that is before the Ottoman conquest) as the settlements of Kačanik and Stara Kačanik and the district of Kačanici. Great Vizir Gasi Sinan Pasha (d. 1595) built his vakif (religious foundation) in Kačanik and developed the town. Located close to the important road linking Priština and Skopje, the town was granted a special status and a fortress was built at the end of the XVIth century.
Ivan Sache, 25 November 2006
The flag of Kačanik, as shown on the Forumi Shqiptar website, is grey with the municipal coat of arms surmounted by the name of the municipality, written in Albanian.
Valentin Poposki, 7 November 2006