This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Biały Bór district (Poland)

Szczecinek county, Zachodnio-Pomorskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: bialy bor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Biały Bór commune flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 2 May 2010
adopted 14 Aug 2008 See also:

Biały Bór flag

Biały Bór - urban-rural commune, Szczecinek County, Zachodnio-Pomorskie Voivodship - Former German name: Baldenburg; Kashubian name: Biôłë Bor; Old Polish name: Białobork

Gmina Biały Bór is an urban-rural gmina (administrative district) in Szczecinek County, West Pomeranian Voivodship, in north-western Poland. Its seat is the town of Biały Bór, which lies approximately 23 kilometres (14 mi) north-east of Szczecinek and 159 km (99 mi) east of the regional capital Szczecin.
Area: 270.23 sq.km (104.3 sq.mi); Population: 5,166 (2006); Ukrainian minority: 491 (9.299%); German minority 35 (0.663%).

Apart from the town of Biały Bór, Gmina Biały Bór contains the villages and settlements of Bagniewko, Biała, Białka, Biały Dwór, Bielica, Biskupice, Biskupice-Kolonia, Błogowo, Borzęcino, Brzeźnica, Cieszęcino, Cybulin, Dalkowo, Dołgie, Domaradz, Donimierz, Drzonowo, Dyminek, Grabowo, Jawory, Kaliska, Kamienna, Kazimierz, Kierzkowo, Koleśnik, Kołtki, Kosobudy, Linowo, Lubiesz, Miłkowo, Miłobądz, Ponikwa, Przybrda, Radzewo, Rosłonki,
Rzyszczewko, Sępolno Małe, Sępolno Wielkie, Stępień, Stepno, Świerszczewo, Trzebiele and Zduny.
Land under cultivation: 39%; Forest: 49%

The town rights were bestowed by the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, Konrad Zöllner von Rotenstein, in 1382 .Later it was located in the Polish Royal Prussia but went to the Prussian Kingdom in 1772 as a result of the partition of Poland.
In 1919, when most of the Western Pommerania became Polish, Baldenburg remained in the German Province of Grenzmark-Westpreussen.
During the World War II it was a point of German heavy resistance and, ultimately, the area was 80% destroyed. It was returned to Poland on February 26, 1945.

The Arms of Baldenburg/Biały Bór date back to 1394. It is a representation of golden-haired woman clad in a blue dress and white apron, holding a golden ball in her right hand and surrounded by magnificent antlers of a red deer. According to the legend, a woman, of extraordinary beauty and high temperament was married to a local barrel maker. Apparently, she seduced all the more handsome men of Baldenburg between 15 and 70, not to mention the visiting guests. When the barrel-maker was out of town on a business trip, she threw a ball from the window to a chosen guy, who was expected soon in her bedroom.
It is not known if the deer antlers symbolize the poor husband or the dense forest of the area.
Anyway, when the dude discovered what was going on, he packed his wife into a barrel and pushed it to the lake. "Oh, it's fun to be a barrel-maker!"

The flag of Biały Bór commune was adopted on August 14, 2008. It is a rectangle in the ratio 5:8 composed of three, unequal, horizontal bands of green - white and light blue from top to bottom. The white band is narrow. In the center of the flag the Arms are placed.
 http://bip.bialybor.com.pl/home/Serwis/Instrukcja-obslugi/rozne/flaga-Bialego-Boru.aspx
Chrystian Kretowicz, 2 May 2010


Biały Bór CoA

[Biały Bór coat of arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 2 May 2010
adopted 14 Aug 2008