Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: wilczyn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
First mentioned in 1316 as a village of Wilczyno.
From 1458 to 1870 enjoyed city rights.
In 1769 a battle took place nearby between the units of Bar Confederacy (Gen.Casimir Pulaski - National Hero of Poland and the United States and Col. Maurycy
Beniowski - Emperor of Madagascar, later, of course) and the Russian troops.
The name of the village and commune is derived from "wilk" = "wolf".
New Arms and the flag adopted on April 30, 2008 (resolution # XVII/136/08).
"Arms: on the blue shield a golden wolf's head, en face.
Blue color symbolizes the lakes of the commune.
Flag: a blue rectangle in the ratio 5:8 with centrally placed golden
The name of the creator of the symbols of Wilczyn is Dr.Piotr Gołdyn - a historian from Konin.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 18 Nov 2008