This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kielce city (Poland)

Miasto Kielce, Swietokrzyskie vojvodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: kielce |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Kielce city flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 1 Dec 2008
proposal See also:

Kielce city

Kielce is the capital of the Swiętokrzyskie Province. The city, with its 900 year history and with 215 thousand inhabitants, is situated in the Srodkowomałopolska Upland. Kielce is also an excellent base for the exploration of the oldest mountains in Europe - the Swiętokrzyskie mountains - as well as the Swiętokrzyskie National Park and the Old Polish Industrial District. Within Kielce's boundries there are four of them: Kadzielnia, Slichowice and Białogon geological sanctuaries and the Karczówka landscape sanctuary.
Kielce's origins date back to distant times. According to one of the legends, Kielce was established by prince Mieszko, the son of Bolesław Smiały (the end of the 11th century). However, the archaeological discoveries prove that the city existed as early as in the first half of the 11th century. The city's name was first mentioned in a document from 1213. One of the many legends says the name comes from the word ''klecie'' which means primitive huts inhabited by the settlers. Yet another legend associates the origins of the word with a settlement established in the region by the Celts, called here ''klatowie''. Most probably, however, Kielce adopted its name after the Middle Poland house of Kielczowie, the hypothetical founders of the settlement. At the turn of the 11th and 12th centuries the city was the property of Cracow's bishops, who built a palace at the top of a hill, known nowadays as Palace Hill. In 1171, bishop Gedeon, of Gryf crest, built the St. Wojciech stone church in the place of a larch one, and then established the collegiate church .
Information from this site.
Jarig Bakker, 30 Aug 2001

Kielce - City - County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodship.
Kielce, so far, has no flag and its Arms were designed in 1496 by Cardinal Fryderyk Jagiellończyk (Frederick Jagiellonian).
Amid the chaos of widely varying renditions of the Arms in use by various city institution, the City Council decided to introduce new Arms and the flag as well.
Last June, the Council accepted the new designs (by Dr.Jerzy Michta) and was ready to pass the resolution making them official, but in the last moment postponed the vote to give the general public time to discuss the new proposals. As of now, no decision was taken yet.

Attached are the proposed new Arms and the brand new flag.
The new Arms have a crown modeled on that of the first King of Poland - Bolesław I Chrobry (Boleslaus the Brave).
Original project of the flag had it as a bicolor of yellow and red, but because Warsaw has the flag like that, it was decided to propose the red flag with the Arms in the center instead.

There is some opposition to the new designs, but the City Council is confident it would be overcome.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 1 Dec 2008


Kielce city Coat of Arms

[Kielce city Coat of Arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 1 Dec 2008
adopted 1496