This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wołów county (Poland)

Powiat wołowski, Dolnośląskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: wolow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Wolów county flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 16 Jan 2009
adopted 5 Oct 1999; design: Michal Marciniak-Korzuchowski

Gminy (districts) in Wołów county: See also:

Wołów county

Wołów County, Dolnośląskie Voivodship - German name: Wohlau.
Wołów County (Polish: powiat wołowski) is a unit of territorial administration and local government (powiat - county) in Lower Silesian Voivodeship, south-western Poland. It was created on January 1, 1999 as a result of the Local Government Reorganization Act of 1998. The county covers an area of 675 square kilometres (261 sq mi).
Its administrative seat is the town of Wołów, although the county also contains the slightly larger town of Brzeg Dolny.
Area: 675 sq.km (182 sq.mi); Population: 47,445 (2006)

In the village of Konary there is a monument honoring the German (Prussian) chemist, physicist and biologist - Franz Karl Achard who discovered the means of production of sugar from sugar beets (among other things) ending the status of sugar as a luxury product and making it rapidly available for everyone.
The English merchants offered him 200,000 talers to declare his experiments a failure but he refused and, with the help of King Friedrich Wilhelm II, opened the first sugar beet refinery in Konary in 1801. (favorite artists: The Archies)

Arms and flag adopted on October 5, 1999 (resolution # XI/82/99).
The designer of the county's symbols was Mr.Michal Marciniak-Korzuchowski.
Included are Arms and the ceremonial and civic flags.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 16 Jan 2009


Wołów county ceremonial flag

[Wolów cere,omial flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 16 Jan 2009
adopted 5 Oct 1999; design: Michal Marciniak-Korzuchowski

Wołów county Coat of Arms

[Wolów cere,omial flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 16 Jan 2009
adopted 5 Oct 1999; design: Michal Marciniak-Korzuchowski