This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Numansdorp (The Netherlands)

Cromstrijen municipality, Zuid Holland

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: numansdorp |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Numansdorp flag] by Jarig Bakker, 20 Apr 2005
adopted 19 Feb 1970 See also:

Numansdorp former municipality

Numansdorp is a former municipality in Zuid-Holland province; in 1984 it merged into the new municipality of Cromstrijen. It is near the Hollandsch Diep in the southeast of the province, opposite Willemstad (Noord-Brabant).
Flag: white-blue-white, three times wavy, proportioned 7:6:7; along the hoist three saltires in a vertical row countercharged.
Adopted 19 Feb 1970 by municipal resolution.

Numansdorp is in the Hoeksche Waard; Numansdorp was its seat, and other villages were Hoogezand, Middelsluis, Oude Sluis (part) and Schuring.
The Manor "Cromstrijen" is a large mechanized farming enterprise (1600 hectares).
Gerrit Numan received in 1492 the muddy flats east of the Striene river and south of the Maas in long lease from Maximiliaan van Oostenrijk, whom he served as a secretary.
Numansdorp is also known as Buitensluis (outside the lock).

Source: Derkwillem Visser's "Gemeentevlaggen en Wapens Koninkrijk der Nederlanden", 2001.
Van Goor's Aardrijkskundig Woordenboek van Nederland, 1968.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Apr 2005

I guess that Maximiliaan van Oostenrijk is internationally known as Maximilian of Austria (1459-1519), Archiduke of Austria, German Emperor (1508-1519) of the Hapsburg dynasty. In 1477, he married Mary of Burgundy, daughter of the last Duke of
Burgundy Charles the Bold, and inherited the Low Countries and Burgundy. He struggled with Kings of France Louis XI and Charles VIII and could keep in 1493 only Artois and Franche-Comté among his French possessions. In 1499, he had to acknowledge the independence of the Swiss cantons. However, he unified his hereditary states and centralized their institutions.
A famous portrait of Maximilian by Albrecht Dürer is shown in the Künsthistorisches Museum in Vienna.
Ivan Sache, 20 Apr 2005


Numansdorp Coat of Arms

[Numansdorp Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 20 Apr 2005
Granted by Royal Resolution 17 Nov 1950.

Arms: argent a wavy fess with two saltires in chief and one in base, all azure; the shield surmounted by a crown or of three leaves and two pearls.

Originally the coat of arms of the Manor of Cromstrijen was used, by this Lordship as well as by the municipalities of Klaaswaal and Numansdorp. The arms of the Manor (the river de Kromme Stryne with (originally) three reedplumes, later three crosslets) was finally granted to Numansdorp.