This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Baarn (The Netherlands)

Utrecht province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: baarn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



Baarn municipality Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
Adopted 27 Jan 1999; design: H. van Heyningen.

See also:

Baarn municipality

Number of inhabitants: 24.469 (1 Jan 2002); area: 3.303 ha. Baarn is a municipality in Utrecht province.
Flag: three vertical stripes blue-yellow-blue, the yellow stripe charged in the center with a blue cross of 2/5 flagheight, and with arms of 1/10 flagheight.
Adopted 27 Jan 1999 by municipal resolution; design: Drs. H. van Heyningen.

The colors are derived from the municipal arms, which shows in blue a yellow bishop. The bishop, in standing position, has been  "translated" into a vertical yellow stripe. The crozier was difficult to adopt on the flag, so the bishop was again "translated" as a blue cross. A priest blesses with one sign of the cross, a bishop with three. A priest is not allowed to wear a breast-cross on his habit, a bishop is, so the cross symbolizes the bishop.
Source: DerkWillem Visser: Gemeentevlaggen en wapens Koninkrijk der Nederlanden", 2001.
Jarig Bakker, 25 May 2005


Baarn old flag (c. 1939)

[Baarn old flag] by Jarig Bakker, 25 May 2005

According to "Wie, Wat, Waar? 1940", an annual published by the Rotterdamsch Nieuwsblad in Nov. 1939, the flag of Baarn was:horizontal blue over white.
Jarig Bakker, 25 May 2005


Baarn Coat of Arms

[Baarn coat of arms] image from the Baarn municipal website.

The Coat of Arms of Baarn dates from 1350: a golden bishop on a blue field. In 1818 Baarn officially adopted these arms. It is not known who the bishop is. It might be Floris van Wevelikhoven, the bishop of Utrecht, who granted Baarn city rights in 1309. It could also be Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of Baarn and sailors. When the municipalities of Baarn and Vuursche merges in 1867, the arms were replaced by "Man and Horse". In 1969 the municipality decided to readopt the arms of 1818. In the municipal flag, adopted 2000, the yellow cross in the middle stripe symbolizes the episcopal blessing.
Jarig Bakker, 19 May 2003