This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wijchen (The Netherlands)

Gelderland province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: wijchen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Wijchen flag] image by Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 19 Jan 1984

Other Wijchen pages: See also:

Wijchen municipality

In 1984 the former municipalities of Batenburg, Bergharen and Wijchen merged to form the new municipality of Wijchen. It consists of the sttlements Wijchen (seat), Balgoij, Niftrik, Batenburg, Hermen, Leur, and Bergharen. On 6 Sep 2004 the 40.000th inhabitant was born.
Wijchen is southwest and virtually a suburb of Nijmegen. Between 1609 and 1626 the castle of Wijchen was built by order of Emilia van Nassau and Emanuel de Bragança, a Portuguese prince. That is now the municipal house.
The flag, adopted 19 Jan 1984, is derived from the Coat of Arms, which was derived from the Lords of Batenburg (a municipality now included in Wijchen). De shears have been explained 'in order to curtail the Roman eagle' ('Pour ronger les ailes aux Romains.'.) It is more probable that it was derived from the arms of Gennep by proxy. <the Dutch term for the shear is 'droogscheerdersschaar' (dry shearing scissor)>
source: <http://www.bng.nl/ngw/w/wychen.htm>
Jarig Bakker, 21 Oct 1999

Wijchen Coat of Arms

[Wychen Coat of Arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 17 Apr 2005
Granted 28 Mar 1984