This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sint Jacobiparochi (Netherlands)

Het Bildt municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2011-02-19 by editor unassigned
Keywords: sint jacobiparochi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Sint Jacobiparochi flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 27 May 2003
adopted c. 2000

See also:

Sint Jacobiparochi village

St. Jacobiparochi (Frisian: Sint Jabik, English: St. James Parish) is a village in the municipality of Het Bildt. It is the starting point of a pilgrim's way to Santiago de Compostela.
On this website are images of the flag and coat of arms of the village.
The village Coat of Arms was designed in 1949 by Klaes Sierksma, based on an old rhyme by the Frisian/Bildt writer Waling Dijkstra:

"In Jan met een Japik
Is 't wapen van Sint Japik,"

A John with a James
Is the arms of Sint Japik".

Jan is St. John the Baptist, Japik is St. James (Jacobus Major), the sons of Zebedeus, also known as the "Thunder-sons".
The arms were approved by the Fryske Rie foar Heraldyk in 2000/2001.

Description of the flag:
Five horizontal stripes RYRYR, proportioned 1:1:2:1:1; a blue hoist-triangle with the point at the flag center; in the triangle are
three white St. James escallopes.

The village was founded in the 16th century when the mouth Middelzee was made into a polder, mainly by people from Zuid-Holland, who remained in Het Bildt. Their descendents still speak a mixture of old Dutch and Frisian. The original name of the village was Wyngaerden (Vineyards), but the soil was heavy Frisian sea-clay, not very likely to produce grapes, and it was renamed as St. Jacobiparochi, and produces the best potatoes in the whole world.
Jarig Bakker, 27 May 2003


Sint Jacobiparochi Coat of Arms

[Sint Jacobiparochi Coat of Arms] image from this website.