This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Oude Bildtzijl (Netherlands)

Het Bildt municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2011-03-26 by andrew weeks
Keywords: oude bildtzijl |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Oude Bildtzijl village Shipmate Flagchart :
first mentioned 1708

See also:

Oude Bildtzijl village (Âldsyl)

Oude Bildtzijl is a village in the municipality of Het Bildt, Fryslân province. It was founded in the 16th century after the "Oude Bildtdijk" was built, which enclosed the old Middelzee. The village is just inside Het Bildt, bordering on Ferwerderadiel. At first it was a little harbor, but after a new dyke was built it was completely inland. Until 1948 it was a hamlet, in 1948 it was promoted to village rank. In the Bilker language the village is named Ouwesyl; in colloquial Frisian: Âldsyl. Nickname: Flaekshaeltsjes (flax-stems) - in the 19th and beginning of the 20th century flax-cultivation was important for this village.

In Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek, 1962, [sie62] is this:
"Flagdescription: Three equally wide horizontal stripes red - white - green.
This village flag is found in the manuscript of Gerrit Hesman (1708), who must have seen the actual flag flying. The colors have been used for the new flag of Het Bildt."
This flag is also in Crampton's Flags of the World, 1990, p. 148.

In Flags of the World 1669-1679, a manuscript reedited by Sierksma, 1966 [sie66] a red - white - green flag is found, ascribed to (possibly) Âlde Biltsyl (the Frisian name for Oude Bildtzijl).
Jarig Bakker, 27 Jun 2003

Oude Bildtzijl old (?) flag

[Oude Bildtzijl old (?) flag] Shipmate Flagchart :
mentioned 1669/1670