This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nij Beets (The Netherlands)

Opsterland municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: nij beets |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Nij Beets villageflag] image by Jarig Bakker, 16 Sep 2003
Design: J.C. Terluin.

See also:

Nij Beets village

Nij Beets is a village in Opsterland municipality, Fryslân province, with (1954) 1801; (1973) 1428, and (2001) 1611 inhabitants. It is a separate village since WWII, originally built on the territory of the former village of (Oud-) Beets - now Beetsterzwaag for peat-diggers. In Nij Beets was the seat of the "polderboard" Grote Veenpolder. In the village were many admirers of Ferdinand Domela Nieuwenhuis (1846-1919), a Lutheran vicar, who became a socialist activist, and later an anarchist. In Nij Beets a street was named after him (and in the Amsterdam city ward Westerpark is a huge statue).
Nickname: "Turfkloeten", "Turftrapers" (peat-lumps, -walkers) - in 1863 peat-digging was started here. The mayor of Opsterland was the first to put a spade in the soil.
Nij Beets coat of arms: Wavy divided of gold and black with over all a "steekijzer" (peat-cutter) countercharged; in gold with two red cloverleaves; and in black three silver peat blocks placed 2:1.
Flag: three horizontal stripes of black and yellow, of which the central stripes is wavy with three waves, proportioned 1:2:1; the yellow stripe charged with a black peat block, a red clover, and a black peat block.
Peat is represented by the black color, and by the peat-blocks, and the peat-cutter. After the peat-digging finished agriculture became important, symbolized by the red cloverleaves.
Design: J.C. Terluin
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1994.
De Woudklank (local newspaper), 3 Sep 1998.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Groot Schimpnamenboek van Nederland, by Dirk van der Heide, 1998.
Jarig Bakker, 16 Sep 2003

Nij Beets coat of arms

[Nij Beets Coat of Arms] from De Woudklank (local newspaper), 3 Sep 1998.