Last modified: 2016-08-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: berane |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Berane, two versions - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 1 September 2015, and Eugene Ipavec, 24 June 2009, respectively
The municipality of Berane (35,068 inhabitants in 2003, 11,776 in the town of Berane proper; 717 sq. km) is located in north-eastern Montenegro.
Part of the Serbian medieval state until its seizure by the Ottomans
in 1455, the area of Berane, known as Budimlja, was a significant
political, economic and religious center. In 1219, St. Sava founded
here one of the first Serbian episcopates; the area was ran by seven
bishops and nine metropolitans. The most famous of the several local
monasteries and churchs, the Đurđevi Stupovi monastery (photos) was built at the end of the 12th century by Stefan Prvoslav, the nephew of Prince Stefan Nemanja.
From 1949 to 1992, the town of Berane was renamed Ivangrad after the partisan leader Ivan Milutinović (1901-1944).
Ivan Sache, 24 June 2009
The flag of Berane is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms is described in the Municipal Statutes as follows:
The emblem has the form of a shield, with a light blue base and surrounded by a red ribbon. At the top is printed "Berane" in Cyrillic letters.>BR> In the central part of the shield is represented the south side of the Đurđevi Stupovi monaster" represented proper in the color scheme, and in the background is an open green stylized gorge whose sides stand behind the monastery bell tower.
In the lower, rounded-off part of the shield, a rectilinear gray stripe oforms a stylized bridge, and below it, the shield's field is filled with blue, divided by two white waves.
The flag was also reported with another version of the coatof arms, with black border and lettering.
Aleksandar Nemet & Tomislav Šipek, 1 September 2015