Last modified: 2014-04-11 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: yanggu county | kangwon-do | south korea |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Source: Yanggu county
Yanggu was called "Yo-Eun-Hol-Cha" during the Goguryeo Dynasty, and the name was changed as "Yang-Rok" in the 16th year of King gyungduk (35th King of the Sinla Dynasty, AD 757). In the Goryo (Korea) Dynasty, the name was changed as "Yanggu-hyun" and the province was under the control of Chunju, which is now the city of Chuncheon. Later on, in the first year of King Yejong (16th King of Goryo Dynasty, AD 1106), In those days, Yanggu had its own jurisdiction Independently. but the governor of Nangchon (HwaChon at present) took it back. Finally, in the second year of King Taejo(AD 1393), the two provinces were separated. In the 13th year of King Taejo (AD 1404), "a Hyungam (a governor)" was appointed to this province. In the 32nd year of King Gojong (26th king of the Lee Dynasty, 1895), it was called as Yanggu county in the part of Gangwon Province and It has had jurisdiction over the nine myeons (small towns), which are Seo, Nam, Buk, Hadong, Sudong, Bangsan, haean, Suip, and Sangdong-myeon since then.
After a part of Buk-myeon was submerged by floods because of the construction of the Hwachun Daem in 1940, the Buk-myeon was abolished and divided into two myeons, Yanggu and Bangsan in 1941. In 1945, due to the creation of the 38th Parallel, almost entire area (except small part of Nam-myeon) was taken over forcefully by Communists. However, after the Korean War, this province was restored to the South and it had been under the military government since March 1954. On November 17th of the same year, upon the transfer of power to the civilian government, Suip-myeon became a de-militarized zone, and haean-myeon was annexed to the Inje county.
In July 1st 1973, there was another re-organization of counties and townships, and haean area became a part of Yanggu County. With the Yanggu's promotion as Eup (town with a larger population), Yanggu became Eup and had three other myeons. With an elevation of haean outpost to township in February 15th, 1983, Yanggu had jurisdiction over one Eup, four myeons and seventy-seven Ris (sub-towns).
researched by Phil Nelson, 29 March 2005
Entering new millennium, the newly established flag emphasizes a pure and clean image of Yanggu. It maximizes the image of Yanggu, combining in pure and clean shape of waterdrop with the first alphabetical letter of "Yang".
Under the combination, there are 2 green slant lines. One symbolizes cheerful and vigorous spirit as well as the leaves of willow tree, as the word "Yang" of "Yanggu" means willow tree in chinese.
The other implies a green field, permanent progress and peace of Yanggu. Furthermore, it emphasizes people in Yanggu will intend to keep and protect nature.
In general, this clean waterdrop, a symbol of pure nature, takes the shape of full of vigor and energy as if the drop rebounds from the green field. It implies a remarkable progress and the future of Yanggu.