Last modified: 2007-06-30 by dov gutterman
Keywords: yesod hama'ala | mo'atza mekomit yesod hama'ala | text: hebrew (green) | coat of arms (landscape: green) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Coat-of-arms adopted 21st September 1960
Local Council Yesod HaMa'ala is situated in the centre of Hula
Valley in the Upper Galille. It was founded in 1883 and has 1,000
inh. Local Council since 1949. It has no official flag and in
case of need it uses a municipal emblem on a monochrome
Source: local council webpage.
The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot), YP 792, 21 September 1960.
Dov Gutterman, 12 September 2001
The municipal flag is green emblem on yellow (quite faded).
Source: author's own observation, 19 September 2001.
Dov Gutterman, 13 October 2001
This small colony* started when 42 families from Mezeritch in
Poland decided to buy land in Israel-land. Their messengers
bought this remote land in 1883 and the first seven families
settled there in spring 1884. Hard work, thefts and Malaria
killed many of them, but they refused to leave the site. In 1887
it was put under Baron Rotshield's control, and his decision to
make it a center for perfume production almost brought this
colony to deadlock. Only the arrival of more efficient farmers
save this small colony.
One of those families was the Dobrovin family, converted Christian from Russia, and their estate "The Dobrovin Estate" serves today as a museum showing the "old days" in the colony.
The origin of the name come from the bible (Ezra 7,9 - foundation of the ascent).
Sources: <www.megalim.co.il>, <www.amit.org.il>.
* Moshava (Colony) was a name for an agricultural settlement
in which the farmers own their land and work it and ship their
products privately. The first colony was Petah
Dov Gutterman, 21 April 2005