This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Klis (Municipality, Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia)

Last modified: 2015-05-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: klis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Municipality flag]

Flag of Klis - Image by Željko Heimer, 10 November 2014


See also:


Presentation of Klis

The municipality of Klis (4,421 inhabitants in 2001, 2,557 in the village of Klis) is located in the hinterground of Split. The village emerged around a medieval fortress erected at a pass, between mountains Mosor and Kozjak.

In the 9th century, Klis was the seat of the Croatin duke Mislav and of his sucessor, Trpimir I, founder of the Royal dynasty. The first Croatian king, Tomislav, also used it as one of his chief residences. The Croatian-Hungarian king Bela IV fleeing Mongols took the last stand there and defeated them with the help of local Croatian nobility (Šubić). As a strategic border post, the fortress changed hands several times. It was held briefly (1388-1389) by the Bosnian king Tvrtko, whose mother, Jelena Šubić, was from Klis. In the 16th century, Klis, under strong Ottoman pressure, was held by Petar Kružić, who developźd a commando strike force strategy (Uskoks); the fortress eventually fell to Ottomans in 1537. It was the seat of the Klis (Kilis) Sanjak. In 1669 it was taken by Venice and, after the Napoleonic period, it eventually passed to the Habsburgs. A village emerged around the fortress.

Željko Heimer, 10 November 2014


Flag of Klis

The symbols of Klis are prescribed by Decision Odluka o prihvaćanju grba i zastave Općine Klis, adopted on 8 August 2014 by the Municipality Council and published on 17 September 2014 in the Municipality official gazette Službeni vjesnik Općine Klis, No. 4 (text).

The flag is in proportions 1:2, blue with the coat of arms, bordered yellow, in the middle.

The municipality of Klis organized a public contest for the design of a coat of arms and a flag, with 90-days deadline, adopted on 22 September by the Municipal Council (minutes of the 4th session) and published on 13 December 2013 in Službeni vjesnik Općine Klis, No. 6. 2013.
During the 8th session of the Municipal Council, held on 23 April 2014, the Council chairman, who also chaired the contest jury, reported that the jury was not satisfied with any of the submitted proposals; a Councillor added that they expected a coat of arms showing the Klis fortress and the Croatian flag. In any case,the Council decided to forward all the received proposals to the Croatian State Archives for consultation. The Decision precribing the symbols was eventually adopted during the 11th session of the Municipal Council, held on 8 August 2014.
The Decision consists of three short articles. The first article adopts the symbols of the municipality "according to the proposal submitted by the Commission" (seemingly, the "Heraldry Commission" of the Ministry of Administration). Secondly, the Decision on the adoption of the symbols, with attachments (apparently some other than this one) was to be forarded to Commission of the Ministry of Administration for Approval of Symbols (the "Heraldry Commission"). Thirdly, the Decision shall be valid from the day of adoption.
It seems that some other, larger (and standard) text of a Decision adopting the symbols is to follow and to be published in the official gazette, following the approval by the Heraldry Commission.

Željko Heimer, 10 November 2014


Coat of arms of Klis

[Municipality coat of arms]

Coat of arms of Klis - Image by Željko Heimer, 10 November 2014

The coat of arms of Klis is "Gules on a rock argent a fortress or with a flag azure".

Željko Heimer, 10 November 2014


Ceremonial flag of Klis

[Flag]

Ceremonial flag of Klis - Image by Željko Heimer, 10 November 2014

The ceremonial flag of Klis (photo, 22 October 2014) is a blue gonfalon with three triangularly ending fringed tails, the municipality name in an arc and a line in the top, the coat of arms in the centre and three vertical yellow wattle ornaments in the tails.

Željko Heimer, 10 November 2014