Last modified: 2012-11-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: korcula | castle (white) | st. mark (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Korčula - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 January 2009
The symbols of Korčula, adopted in July 1996, are prescribed in the Town Statues Statut Grada Korčule (text), adopted on 15 November 2011 by the Town Assembly and published in the Town official gazette Službeni glasnik Grada Korčule, No. 5.
This is repeated (with the only difference that now the Mayor instead of the Executive Board is entitled to grant the use of the symbols) in the current Town Statues Statut Grada Korčule (text), adopted on 1 September 2009 by the Town Assembly and published on 3 September 2009 Službeni glasnik Grada Korčule, No. 6.
The designer is the local architect Francesca Danese-Katić.
The flag is described in the Town Statutes as follows:
The flag of the Town is blue with the coat of arms of the Town, bordered yellow, in its centre.
The ratio of the coat of arms to the length of the flag is 1:5.
The ratio of the width to the length of the flag is 1:2.
The Town Assembly of the Town of Korčula shall prescribe with a special Decision the manner and protection of the use of the coat of arms and the flag, that is, it shall determine the rules according to which the Town Mayor of the Town of Korčula can grant use of the coat of arms and the flag to legal persons for the promotion of the interest of the Town.
Željko Heimer, 16 January 2011
Coat of arms of Korčula - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 January 2009
The coat of arms is described in the Town Statutes as follows:
The coat of arms of the Town is in a semi-circular shield shape. The shield is blue with white (silver) stylized towers: a composition of the Town's entrance - the Revelin tower with the staircase, and on its flanks the towers of Kanavelić and Zakerjan. Standing on the staircase in front of the Town's gates is St. Mark, colored yellow, his right arm raised in blessing and holding in his left arm against his chests the Gospel book.
The ratio of the width to the length of the coat of arms is 4.2:5.
This is based on a an old seal (photo), probably from the 14th century.
Laszowski's Coffee Hag album of 1939 [lsv39] gives the coat of arms in a somewhat different shape, but obviously based on that seal, while for the seal it is only mentioned that it is "medieval" without any more precise dating. Laszowski also says that the coat of arma was granted in 1898. Laszowski identifies the saint as St. Nicholas, which must be an error.
Ströhl (Städte-Wappen von Ö-U, 1904) [stl04] shows the coat of arms basically as Laszowski, except for the shield shape; Ströhl has all shields in a square-shield shape, while Laszowski have them all in a semi-circular shape, identifying the saint as St. Mark. He notes that the coat of arms drawing was granted to "Curzola" on 17 August 1898, probably meaning that it was not the coat of arms that was granted but only a new drawing of "the ancient coat of arms".
Željko Heimer, 16 January 2011