Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: kymi-aliveri | kymi | taminaioi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Kymi-Aliveri (28,437 inhabitants in 2001; 80,120 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform as the merger of the former municipalities of Avlon (Αυλών, 3,535 inh.), Dystos (Δύστος, 5,579 inh.), Konistres (Κονίστρες, 4,077 inh.), Kymi (Κύμη, 8,772 inh.), and Taminaioi (Ταμιναίοι, 9,764 inh.).
Olivier Touzeau, 8 June 2014
Flag of Kymi, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 6 June 2014
The ancient Euboean Kyme is mentioned as a harbor town related to the more prominent poleis of Chalkis and Eretria in antiquity. Together with these, it is sometimes named as the founding metropolis of the homonymous Kyme (Cumae) in Italy, an important early Euboean colony, which was probably named after it.
The flag of Kymi is vertically divided white-light blue. In the middle is placed the municipal emblem, beneath the year "1871", above the name of the municipality, written either "ΔΗΜΟΣ ΚΥΜΗΣ" (photo) or "ΔΗΜΟΣ ΚΥΜΑΙΩΝ" (photo).
The emblem (image), featuring an anchor between two bunches of grapes "hanging from the same vine", was adopted by Royal Decree of 25 January 1871.
Paraskevas Renesis, 6 June 2014
Flag of Taminaioi - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 15 January 2015
The seat of the municipality was in Aliveri (Αλιβέρι, 9,895 inh.). Its flag (Kokkonis website) was white with the municipal emblem.
Olivier Touzeau, 15 January 2015