Last modified: 2014-11-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: nafplio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Nafplio - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 27 May 2014
The municipality of Nafplio (33,356 inhabitants in 2011; 38,780 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Asini (Ασίνη, 6,117 inh.), Midea (Μιδέα, 6,724 inh.), Nafplio (18,910 inh.), and Nea Tiryntha (Νέα Τίρυνθα, 3,680 inh.).
The area surrounding Nafplio has been inhabited since ancient times. The oldest part of the city, the Acronauplia, has walls dating from pre-classical times. Subsequently, Byzantines, Franks, Venetians, and Turks added to the fortifications. Nafplio was taken in 1212 by the French crusaders of the Principality of Achaea. It became part of the lordship of Argos and Nauplia, which in 1388 was sold to the Republic of Venice. The city surrendered to the Ottomans in 1540, who renamed it Mora Yenişehri and established it as the seat of a sanjak. The Venetians retook Nafplio in 1685 and made it the capital of their "Kingdom of the Morea". The city was retaken by the Ottomans in 1715.
During the Greek War of Independence, Nafplio was a major Ottoman stronghold and was besieged for more than a year. The town finally surrendered because of starvation. After its capture, because of its strong fortifications, it became the seat of the provisional government of Greece, and it remained the capital of Greece until 1834, when King Otto decided to move the capital to Athens.
Olivier Touzeau, 27 May 2014
The flag of Nafplio (photos) is white with a large red outer border and a thin golden fimbriation, and the municipal emblem, in golden yellow, in the middle.
The former municipality municipality used the same emblem and flag (Kokkonis website).
Olivier Touzeau & Paraskevas Renesis, 27 May 2014