Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: west mani | avia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of West Mani (8,647 inhabitants in 2001; 40,610 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the two former municipalities of Avia (Αβία, 3,089 inh.) and Lefktro (Λεύκτρο 5,558 inh.).
Ivan Sache, 3 November 2012
Former flag of AAvia - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 3 November 2012
The former municipality of Avia had its seat in the village of Kampos (Κάμπος, 525 inh.). A popular tourist destination, Avia also has a large olive production. It lies on the east coast of the Messenian Gulf, southeast of Kalamata, southwest of Sparta and northwest of Kardamali.
The flag of the municipality was white with its emblem and the name of the municipality above (Kokkonis website).
The emblem of the municipality was first used back in 1866 (Royal Decree of 14 December 1866). Taken from an ancient coin, it shows the head of Hercules who wears the lion's skin.
Olivier Touzeau & Paraskevas Renesis, 15 December 2012