Last modified: 2011-06-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: pilot | anchor (white) | station de pilotage de la seine |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Pilot's flag - Image by Željko Heimer, 27 September 2001
According to Album des Pavillons [pay00], the pilot's flag is a red flag including a white rectangle including itself a blue rectangle in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 27 September 2001
Former pilot's flags
Left, 1917, 1924 - Image by Željko Heimer, 27 September 2001;
Right, 1842 - Image by Phil Nelson, 27 September 2001
R.H. Laurie's flag chart (1842), reproduced in
Wilson [wil99], shows the pilot flag as white with a thin blue border.
National Geographic (1917) [geo17] and Webster's New International Dictionary (1924) [wbs24] shows the flag with a much broader border.
Phil Nelson & Željko Heimer, 27 September 2001
Flag of the Seine pilots - Image by Željko Heimer and Ivan Sache, 16 October 2003
The lower valley of the Seine links two of the biggest French
ports, Rouen and
Le Havre. Navigation in this area is
particularly difficult and requires an experienced pilot.
In the past, there were a lot of islands between Rouen and Le Havre, which complicated navigation. During big high tides, a tidal bore (in French, mascaret) was caused by the inflowing sea waters squeezed between the banks of the river. The bore was able to reverse the normal flow of the river and moved counter-current at a very high speed. Particularly violent during equinoctial tides, the bore reached its maximum speed near Caudebec-en-Caux, in a place called Barre-y-Va (lit., "bore goes there"). In 1843, six months after their marriage, Léopoldine Hugo and her husband Charles Vacquerie were caught by the bore, which sank their small boat near the family manor in Villequier. Léopoldine's father, the poet Victor Hugo, never recovered from the loss of her prefered daughter and his son-in-law. He expressed his sorrow in some of his most inspired poems, to be found in the collection Les Contemplations.
The islands were subsequently removed and the banks were corrected, so that the tidal bore is now very weak and no longer dangerous for navigation.
Piloting on the Seine was prescribed by King Henri III on 1 April
1566, who signed a Royal Decree actually written by Admiral of
France Jean de Mouy. Unchanged until 1792, the Decree prescribed:
- the territorial limits of the piloting station;
- the pilots' appointment procedure;
- the amount and collection procedure of taxes;
- the signaling of dangerous places;
- the amount of the fee, which depended of the origin (local or not) of the boat, its nationality and the direction of navigation.
The regulation also prescribed the number of pilots, 100 in
Quillebeuf and 49 in Villequier. King Henri IV appointed only 99
pilots in Quillebeuf, the 100th pilot being His Majesty Himself. The
first pilot boat was used in the 17th century.
Professional misconduct was severely repressed. If a pilot deliberately beached a ship, he was sentenced to le dernier supplice, that is immediate hanging, on the beaching place. If the mistake was undeliberate, the pilot was whipped. If the pilot was drunk, he was fined. In those early ages, the pilots used sticks and sounding lines to assess the water depth. The few available maps were obsolete and inaccurate. Modern computerized maps are made today using ultrasound probing.
In 1891, Chief Pilot Amédée Dormoy reorganized the piloting stations. He purchased three cutters which met the ships in the estuary of Seine. Before, the ships had to stop in Le Havre to pick up a pilot. The cutters proved to be unefficient when steamers became the most common ships on the Seine.
Today, the pilots are brought on board by a small orange motorboat
called pilotine when reaching the harbour of La Carosse in Le
Havre. The pilot guides the ship to Caudebec-en-Caux. A new pilot
then guides the ship to Rouen. Formerly located in
Villequier, the station was relocated to Caudebec in 1985 (alos the place of the Seine Navigation Museum. When reaching Rouen, the ships might require the assistance of tugboats.
The use of a pilot is mandatory for all ships longer than 45 m. Two major pilots are elected in Le Havre and Rouen, respectively, by their peers, for two years. They set up the daily navigation plan called équation. There were 117 pilots on the Seine in 1960, 68 in 1999 and 65 in 2002, including one of the only women pilot in the world. The pilots of the Seine downstream (Le Havre-Caudebec) are nicknamed Margats (seabirds), whereas those of the Seine upstream (Caudebec-Rouen) are nicknamed Perroquets (landbirds). The pilots of the Seine are also competent on the Channel, between Caen-Ouistreham and Dieppe.
The station is organized as a workers' cooperative, placed under the supervision of the Ministry of Transports. A pilot must be aged between 24 and 35, have a Captain diploma and have some seniority on merchant or State ships.
The flag of the Piloting Station of the Seine is red with a white
anchor. It can be seen on paintings by Eugène Grandin (1892) and E. Lemétayer (undated) showing
the pilot boat Émile Duchemin, one of the three cutters
purchased in 1891. The É:mile Duchemin was sunk by an English
steamer on 24 November 1894.
The flag is also shown on a car sticker, quite common in Le Havre.
Source: Sequana-Normandie website.
Ivan Sache, 16 October 2003