This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Caillol - Compagnie Méditerranéenne de Navigation (Shipping company, France)

Last modified: 2005-12-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: caillol | compagnie mediterraneenne de navigation | anchor (white) | letters: cmn (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

E. Caillol &. H. Saintpierre and Caillol-Duvillard & Cie

[Flag of Caillol]

House flag of Caillol - Image by Ivan Sache & Željko Heimer, 15 February 2004

The freight agents E. Caillol and H. Saintpierre founded in 1875 a shipping company to serve scheduled lines between Marseilles and Spain, Corsica, Italy, Algeria, Tunisia, Turkey, the Black Sea and Egypt. In 1902, Saintpierre withdrew from the company and was succeded by Duvillard.

The house flag of Caillol is blue with a white anchor.

Source: Paul Bois. Armements marseillais - Compagnies de navigation et navires à vapeur (1831-1988), published by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Marseille-Provence [boi03].

The use of the blue flag with anchor is confirmed by Reed 1901 under E. Caillol & H. Saintpierre and by Lloyds 1904 for Caillol-Duvillard & Cie.

Ivan Sache & Neale Rosanoski, 21 February 2005

Compagnie Nouvelle Méditerranéenne de Navigation

[Flag of CMN]     [Flag of CMN]

House flag of Compagnie Nouvelle Méditerranéenne de Navigation, as shown by Bois (left) and Lloyds (right) - Images by Ivan Sache, 15 February 2004

In 1904, L. de Montravel and E. Roche, who already owned jointly a ship, took the control of the company, which was renamed in 1906 Compagnie Méditerranéenne de Navigation, with great ambitions. They bought in 1904 a series of small liners, SS Gallia, Corsica, Iberia, Italia and Numidia, named after the line they were allocated to, and in 1905 a series of three cargo ships, SS Monte-d'Oro, Tavignano and Vizzavone, named after Corsican toponyms.
However, the company had bitten off more than it could chew, and had to sold most of its fleet in 1907. The company was renamed Compagnie Nouvelle Méditerranéenne de Navigation and operated a limited number of ships until 1913.

Paul Bois (loc. cit.) shows the house flag of Compagnie (Nouvelle) Méditerranéenne de Navigation as white with a light blue diagonal stripe and two light blue triangles in upper left and lower right corners. The diagonal stripe is charged with the black letters CNM.
Lloyds 1912 reverses the order of the diagonal bands, that is from upper hoist to lower fly and adds dots after the letters.

Confusion should be avoided with the more successful Compagnie de Navigation Mixte, whose house flag is charged with NM only, and the more recent Compagnie Méridionale de Navigation, whose house flag is charged with CNM too, but in red.

Ivan Sache & Neale Rosanoski, 15 February 2004