This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Puttelange-lès-Thionville (Municipality, Moselle, France)

Last modified: 2007-05-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: moselle | puttelange-les-thionville |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Puttelange]

Municipal flag of Puttelange-lès-Thionville - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 1 October 2006

See also:

Presentation of Puttelange-lès-Thionville

The municipality of Puttelange-lès-Thionville (611 inhabitants) is located 20 km north-north-east of Thionville, close to the border with Luxembourg (Mondorff / Mondorf).

The castle of Puttelange was built in 1653 as la Burg de Puttlingen by Jean de Ryaville. This ironmaster from Lorraine was ennobled by Archidukes Albert and Isabelle in 1598 and allowed in 1609 to build a forge in Dommelange, in the neighbouring Luxembourg. The Ryaville family became very rich and contributed to the industrial development of the region. On 9 August 1641, Ryaville purchased a part of the domain of Puttelange, then called Puttelange-lès-Rodemack (the current name was adopted in 1945), after a fortified city located 5 km south of Puttelange. In 1659, the Treaty of the Pyrénées allocated the region to France. Thomas I de Ryaville, John's son, took over Rodemack and the neighbouring villages and plead allegiance to the King of Spain, who sold him the remaining part of the domain of Puttelange. The castle was later transferred to the Marquis Charles Jean-Baptiste Robert de Dampont, who was guillotinized in Metz with his wife Marie Anne Joséphine on 24 July 1794. Their son-in-law Baron Jacques Philippe Joseph d'Huart obtained on 15 June 1802 the return of the castle to his wife.
Puttelange is known for its calvaries, the most interesting of them being the Justice Cross, dated 1643 but probably much older and having replaced an even much older monument (XIIIth century). The cross has a monolithic, 2.30-high shaft, which recalls that Puttelange was in the past famous for its stone-cutters and cobblers.

Source: Unofficial Puttelange website

Ivan Sache, 1 October 2006

Municipal flag of Puttelange-lès-Thionville

The flag of Puttelange-lès-Thionville, as observed locally, is yellow with three vertical red stripes. It is a banner of the municipal arms, D'or aux trois pals de gueules, Or three pales gules.

Dominique Cureau, 1 October 2005