This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Alcorcón (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: alcorcón |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]         [Flag]

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Alcorcón, four used versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 27 June 2015


See also:


Presentation of Alcorcón

The municipality of Alcorcón (170,336 inhabitants in 2014; 3,373 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of the Community of Madrid, 15 km of Madrid. The municipality experienced a demographic boom in the second half of the 20th century, the population increasing from 1,370 inhabitants in 1955 to 112,615 in 1975.

Alcorcón was incorporated to the Crown of Castile by Alfonso VI after the reconquest of Toledo in 1085. The town was first mentioned in a document dated 28 July 1208, referring to the Alcorcón Road used by shepherds and forming the disputed limit between the Councils of Madrid and Segovia. A further document dated 12 December 1208 confirmed the rule of Segovia over the road; the limits of the Council of Madrid, Alcorcón included, were fixed during the reign of Ferdinand III (1217-1252).
Alcorcón and Móstoles were separated in 1485; the limits between the Councils of Madrid and Toledo were fixed in 1496, Alcorcón being allocated to Madrid and Móstoles to Toledo.

Ivan Sache, 27 June 2015


Symbols of Alcorcón

[Flag]

Flag of Alcorcón, as prescribed but not used - Image by Ivan Sache, 27 June 2015

The flag of Alcorcón is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 5 June 1992 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 10 June 1992 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 137, p. 5 (text) and on 17 July 1992 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 171, p. 24,824 (text).
The flag is described as follows;

Flag: In proportions 2:3, gyronny at hoist, yellow, red and green, charged all over with the coat of arms of the municipality.

The Royal Academy of History validated the flag, as compliant with the norms of vexillology, especially by using the main colours of the coat of arms.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1988, 185, 2: 409]

The flag in actual use, however, is vertically divided red-green (2:1) with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. Oddly enough, the legal description of the flag and arms is repeated in Article 4 of the Municipal Constitution, last amended on 1 January 2013.
The flag officially used indoors (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo) features in most cases the "regular" the coat of arms, surmonted by the Spanish Royal crown. Sometimes the "stylized" coat of arms is used, rather (photo, photo).
The flag used outdoors (photo, photos) appears to always bear the "stylized" the coat of arms.
Some copies of the flag, used indoors (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo), have a darker red shade than usual.

The coat of arms of Alcorcón is prescribed by Decree No. 2,305, adopted on 29 July 1974 by the Spanish Government and published on 19 August 1974 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 198, p. 17,126 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Or a hill vert ensigned by three pots gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.

The pots are a reference to pottery, a traditional source of income in the municipality. Pottery was for sure initiated in Alcorcón by Muslims. Relevant archeological studies were not performed because of the swift urbanization of the area; the urban center of Alcorcón was declared of "cultural interest, as an archeological zone" by a Resolution adopted on 15 January 1990 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 9 August 1991 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 190, p. 26,517 (text).
It is believed that an earthenware workshop was established close to the mosque, subsequently replaced by the St. Mary the White church. Philip II's Relaciones Topgraficas state that Alcorcón was known for the elaboration of "jugs, pots, jars and cooking pots", made with such skills that they were "found in several remote areas and estimated in the whole kingdom". Pottery peaked in the town in the second half of the 18th century; the Ensenada Cadaster (1750) lists 62 potters, while a survey made in 1788 concluded that production and sale of pottery was the source of income for 90% of the villagers. The industry quickly disappeared in the 20th century; there were still 13 potters in 1900, but only three of them were still active in 1920. Only two potters were recorded in 1936, who would cease activity within the next 30 years.
[Portal del Sur, 15 August 2013]

Ivan Sache, 27 June 2015