Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: arauzo de salce |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Arauzo de Salce - Image by Ivan Sache, 10 February 2015: coat of arms by "Tuynoyo" (Wikimedia Commons)
The municipality of Arauzo de Salce (68 inhabitants in 2010; 1,850 ha; unofficial website) is located in the south of the Province of Burgos.
Arauzo de Salce was mentioned for the first time in 1044, as Arabuzo
de Salze, in the charters of the San Pedro de Arlanza monastery, when
Laín González transferred his goods in the village to the monastery.
The three Arauzos (Arauzo de Salce, Arauzo de Miel and Arauzo de Torre) once formed a defence line watching the border with the Moorish states. Arauzo is most probably a Basque toponym, meaning "a cold valley". "de Salce" refer to the willows (sauce) common in the area.
Ivan Sache, 10 June 2011
The flag and arms of Arauzo de Salce are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 10 December 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 28
January 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 7 February 2002 in the
official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 27, p. 2,055 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, with proportions 1:1, tricolor. The field or, on top a green stripe, on bottom a blue stripe, with proportions 2:2:6. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Or a weeping willow vert between two waves azure, the chief cantonned with a sword sable and a hoe of the same per saltire and an eight-pointed star gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 10 June 2011mailme.html