Last modified: 2015-11-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: alboloduy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Alboloduy - Image from the Símbolos de Almería website, 9 May 2014
The municipality of Alboloduy (728 inhabitants in 2007; 7,006 ha; municipal website) is located 35 km north-west of Almería.
Alboloduy, once re-conquered by the Catholic Monarchs, was granted in 1504 to Sancho de Castilla y Enríquez, lord of Gor. In the 16th century, the lord of Gor transferred the capital of the domain to Santa Cruz. To conceal swappings between the Kingdom of Castile and the lords of Gor, the names of Albolodud and Alhiçan were used indistinctively; places in the former taha of Marchena and Alboloduy were mixed. The situation was cleared in the 17th century, when the domain, made of the villas of Santa Cruz and Alboloduy, belonged to Antonio Verdugo y Castilla, lord of Gor and Count of Torrepalma. Alboloduy and Santa Cruz became independent municipalities in 1850. In 1863, Queen Isobel II created the Marquisate of Alboloduy for María Elvira Fernández de Córdoba Bohórquez, the niece of the Duke of Gor. In the 19th century, the monoculture of Ohanes grapes caused the boost of the village, whose population peaked at 2,490 in 1857.
Ivan Sache, 3 August 2009
The flag and arms of Alboloduy, approved on 18 February 2004 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 14 April 2004 by the Directorate General of Local Administration and published on 30 April 2004 in the official gazette
of Andalusia, No. 84, p. 10,353 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: The municipal flag of Alboloduy shall be made of a panel with dimensions 2:3, made of two triangles of equal size, linked by their side to form a rectangle, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms, with proportions three to four, as prescribed by Decree No. 14 of 31 January 1995, published on 9 March 1995 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 38. The upper triangle shall be green and the lower red. The colours, taken from the main chromatic areas of the municipal coat of arms, are combined this way since to prevent any confusion with the flag of another municipality.
Coat of arms: Per pale: 1. Vert a clock tower argent port and windows azure. Argent is the heraldic tincture represented by the white colour. 2. Arms of the House of Castile, Duke of Gor and lord of Alboloduy. A bend vert engulfed at its ends by dragon's heads or langued gules; in the upper angle gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure; in the lower angle, argent a lion gules crowned or. A bordure azure with the name of the municipality, Alboloduy, in letters sable. The bordure surrounds the field of the shield and has for width 1/6 of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed [lengthy description omitted].
The clock tower is the most representative symbol of modern Alboloduy; it is located on the site of the former Arab walls. The arms of the house of Castile highlight the belonging of Albolobuy to thise house and the Christian re-settlement.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Almería (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 3 August 2009