This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

House Flags of German Fishing and Whaling Companies

Flaggen deutscher Fisch- und Walfang Reedereien

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: braker herings | bremen-vegesacker fg | cuxhavener hfag | erste dtsche wal | flensburger fv | geestemuender hhf | grundmann groeschel | nordd hochseefish | nordsee ddf | nordstern | pust | visurgis | wieting hf | beucker | cranz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Germany] 3:5 image by António Martins-Tuválkin Other German Fishing Companies: See also:

Otto Beucker

[Otto Beucker] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 5 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 1150 GRT. The white flag displayed a red, unserifed initial "B" shifted to the hoist. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland.
Source: Lloyd 1933 , p.6, image no.13
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Braker Heringsfischerei Aktiengesellschaft

[Braker Heringsfischerei AG] image by ,

The company was located in Brake upon Unterweser near Bremen.
Description of flag:
The blue flag was divided by a broad, white, centred cross. In the four quarters were white, dotted initials of the name "B" (upper hoist), "H" (upper fly), "A" (lower hoist) and "G" (lower fly). In the centre of the flag was a red lozenge.
Source: Lloyds 1912 ; p.98, flag no.1288
/Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2012


Bremen-Vegesacker Fischerei Gesellschaft

[Bremeni-Vegesacker Fischerei Gesellschaft] image by Ivan Sache, 14 Mar 2008

Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels 1912 shows the house flag of "Bremen-Vegesacker Fischerei Gesellschaft" (#14, p. 37), a company based in Grohn, as white with a vertical border along the hoist made of two columns of six squares, alternating red and white, two horizontal stripes on top and bottom of the flag (width, one square), and the black letters "BV" in the middle.

The name of the company reads "Fishing Company of Bremen-Vegesack". Vegesack is a borough of the town of Bremen, while Grohn is a borough of Vegesack.
Founded in 1897, the company became one of the biggest herring fishing company in Europe. In 1895, the company purchased the steel saillogger "Vegesack BV2", used as a herring fishing vessel (drifter) at the North Sea. Sold in 1921, the ship had several successive owners, and is still operate by the "Maritime Tradition Vegesack Nautilus" association, as the oldest Europen herring drifter.
Source: "Schooner Man" website.

The company was overtaken in 1968 by the "Norddeutsche Hochseefischerei AG" (NDHAG), based in Bermerhaven. The house flag of the company is derived from the flag of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen.
Ivan Sache, 14 Mar 2008

Variant

[Bremeni-Vegesacker Fischerei Gesellschaft#2] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Grohn near Vegesack, today Bremen, and ran 53 fishing loggers, sailing and motor trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 7030 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea. The flag was white with red stripes at top and bottom edge. A chequered pale of 16 alternating red and white cubes was at the hoist, taken from the flag of Bremen. Shifted to the hoist were black, serifed initials "BV".
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.7 , image no.19


F. Busse

[F. Busse] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2012

Description of flag:
It was a blue, converging swallow tail pennant fimbriated white except the hoist side. In the blue field were white, dotted capitals "FB " shifted to the hoist and in the fly a white fish facing the hoist.
Source: Lloyds 1912 ; p.85, flag no. 1019
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2012

Variant

[F. Busse] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 9 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 2200 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. The blue flag had white edges at three sides. The fly was embowed. At the central hoist were white initials "FB ", at the central fly a white fish.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.7 , image no.21
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

Hochseefischerei AG "Trave" (F. Busse)

[HF Trave, F. Busse] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Lübeck, and ran 6 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 1600 GRT. The company operated in the Baltic Sea. It was probably a subsidiary of F.Busse. The blue flag had a white lozenge in its centre, bearing a red, serifed initial "T".
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.10 , image no.49
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Cranzer Fischdampfer Gesellschaft (Otto Bröhau)

[Cranzer Fischdampfer Gesellschaft] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Altona, today Hamburg and ran 6 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 1700 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. Cranz is a small hamlet on the southern bank of Elbe river, belonging to Hamburg at the border to "Altes Land". In the centre of the blue flag was a fish, nearly having the colour of smoked salmon, which is surrounded by a golden brownish wreath. White, unserifed initials are in the flag's corners as follows: "C" (upper hoist), "F" (upper fly), "D" (lower hoist) and finally "G" (lower fly).
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.7 , image no.22
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Cuxhavener Hochseefischerei Aktiengesellschaft

[Cuxhavener Hochseefischerei AG] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2012

The company was located in Cuxhaven
Description of flag:
In the centre of the white flag was a red Hamburg castle having a white closed door.
Source: Lloyds 1912 ; p.47, flag no.228
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2012


Deutsche Fischerei AG

[Deutsche Fischerei AG] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 9 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 2150 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. It was a 9-stripes flag, divided by alternating, horizontal green and white stripes. In the white canton was a green initial "R ".
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.7 , image no.27
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


N. Ebeling

[N. Ebeling] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Bremerhaven and ran 13 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 3500 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. The flag was a blue over white over red horizontal tricolour. In the middle of the white stripe was a lying, yellow 6-point star.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.8 , image no.30
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Erdmann Lefke

[Erdmann Lefke] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The small company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 3 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 650 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea and around Iceland. In the middle of the white flag was a dark blue initial "L" in a thin annulet of the same colour.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.12 , image no.71
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Erste Deutsche Walfang Gesellschaft

[Erste Deutsche Walfang Gesellschaft] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Oct 2009

Though it is known, that the company "Deutsche Walfang AG" was located in Wesermünde, no one knows exactly, when it was established. Some say, it was established in 1912 as "Deutsche Walfang-Gesellschaft Sturmvogel", which was located in Lüderitzbucht, then in German South West Africa, the nowadays Namibia.
In 1935 Henkel & Cie OHG, located in Düsseldorf, overtook the shares of the company from the cities of Bremerhaven and Wesermünde. The company was renamed into "Erste Deutsche Walfang-Gesellchaft(1st German Whaling Society/EDWG). The freighter "WÜRTTEMBERG" was modified by Blohm & Voss dockyard and renamed as "JAN WELLEM" in 1936. The vessel took part in whaling in the South Pole seas together with eight other company vessels between 1936 and 1939.
After WW2 all ships got lost and the company was not restarted. The know-how was given to Aristoteles Onassis, who had no experience in whaling. But he too gave up in 1954. EDWG was kept however as ship-management company for the vessels of Globus-Reederei and Meridian Reederei, which had been established by Henkel in 1951. In 1956 EDWG was dissolved and completely overtaken by Globus-Reederei.
Source: Klaus-Peter Bühne's webpage , translated by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Oct 2009
Description of flag:
The flag was divided by saltire into white and green. In each quarter were red capitals ""E""(top), "D"(hoist), "W"(fly) and "G"(bottom).
Source: "Deutsche Reedereien und ihre Erkennungszeichen"; 2nd ed.; Hamburg; 1956; p.17, furthermore the original flag of the "JAN WELLEM" can be seen at Internationales Maritimes Museum, Koreastraße 1 in Hamburg. I spotted that flag there on 24 September 2009.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Oct 2009


Flensburger Fischereiverein von 1872

[Flensburger Fischereiverein von 1872] image sent by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 29 Mar 2012

The house flag of the shipping company Flensburger Fischereiverein von 1872 is blue, ca. 1/7 yellow at the hoist(?) and ca. 1/3 yellow circle with 3 abstract blue fish swimming flyward.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 27 Aug 2001


H. Fock Hochseefischerei

[H. Fock Hochseefischerei] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Altona, today Hamburg, and ran 5 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 1250 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. The white flag was divided by a green lozenge displaying a fish in natural colour.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.9 , image no.37
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Geestemünder Herings & Hochseefischerei

[Geestemunder Herings & Hochseefischerei] image by Ivan Sache, 12 Apr 2008

Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels (1912) shows the house flag of "Geestemunder Herings & Hochseefischerei A.G." (#281, p. 50), a company based in Geestemünde, as blue  with a white "H" in the middle.

The port and town of Geestemünde was founded by the Kingdom of  Hannover in 1845, next to Bremerhaven. In 1927, Geestemünde was merged with Lehe and Wulsdorf to form the new municipality of Wesermünde. In 1939, Bremerhaven was separated from Bremen and incorporated to Wesermünde. Incorporated to the Federal State of Bremen in 1947, Wesermünde was eventually renamed Bremerhaven.
Ivan Sache, 12 Apr 2008


Grundmann & Gröschel

[Grundmann & Gröschel] image by Jarig Bakker, 23 Dec 2004

Image after Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies, compiled by F.J.N. Wedge, Glasgow, 1926 [wed26]
Grundmann & Gröschel, Geestemünde - white flag with Spanish fess; "G" in black in center. Geestemünde is part of Bremerhaven.
Jarig Bakker, 13 Dec 2004

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 13 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 3750 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.9 , image no.41
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


"Hansa" Hochseefischerei

["Hansa" Hochseefischerei] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Altona, today Hamburg, and ran 32 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 8750 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. In the middle of the red flag was a white diamond fimbriated black. In its centre was a black serifed initial ""H".
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.10 , image no.47
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


J.Hubert and Ernst F. Hubert

[J.Hubert / Ernst F. Hubert] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Apr 2012

In the centre of the blue flag is a white upright anchor superimposing a white capital "H".
Source: Gratis Beilage zu Deicken und Behrmann's Neuen Monatsheften Neue Ausgabe Sommer 1897
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Apr 2012

Ernst F. Hubert
The small company was based in Nordenham and ran 3 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 650 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea and around Iceland.
The company flag is the same as that from J. Hubert.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.11 , image no.56
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Ludwig Janssen & Co.

[Ludwig Janssen & Co.] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 9 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 2450 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. In the middle of the white flag was a black, unserifed "J".
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.11 , image no.59
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Hochseefischerei AG Carl Kämpf

[Hochseefischerei AG Carl Kämpf] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 11 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 3200 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. It was a Partenreederei. The flag was blue with a white initial "K", slightly shifted to the hoist.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.10 , image no.50
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Leerer Heringsfischerei AG

[Leerer Heringsfischerei AG] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The company was based in Leer and ran 20 miscellaneous vessels in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 3350 GRT. In the middle of the blue flag was a yellow initial "L" surrounded by three, facetted 6-point stars of the same colour. The ensemble is based upon the pattern as displayed similar on seals and arms of the city.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.12 , image no.70
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Norddeutsche Hochseefischerei AG

[Norddeutsche Hochseefischerei AG] image by Jarig Bakker, 11 Nov 2003

I found this webpage with the flag of Norddeutsche Hochseefischerei AG: diagonally divided, top and bottom blue, hoist and fly red; in the center white shield with NDHAG. [Link is dead, R.I.P. Ed]
Jens Pattke, 1 Nov 2003

The house flag of NDHAG can be seen on a company share offerred on eBay Österreich.
Ivan Sache, 14 Mar 2008

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 11 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 2800 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.13 , image no.81
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Deutsche Dampf-Fischerei-Gesellschaft "Nordsee"

[Deutsche Dampf-Fischerei-Gesellschaft "Nordsee"] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2012

The company was located in Nordenham. The flag was divided per saltire into blue (hoist, fly) and white (top, bottom) superimposed by a yellow upright key.
Source: Lloyds 1912 ; p.43, flag no.135
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2012

The company as also mentioned as "Nordsee" Deutsche Hochseefischerei Bremen-Cuxhaven AG. The company was based in Bremen, Nordenham and Cuxhaven. It ran in 1933 besides 134 fishing trawlers also 5 motor vessels, 1 tugboat and 1 tanker. The fleet had altogether a tonnage of 36800 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.14 , image no.87
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Hochseefischerei "Nordstern" AG

[Hochseefischerei "Nordstern" AG] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 May 2009

The company was located in Geestemünde. It was a green flag with red stripes at top- and bottom edge. In the centre was a yellow 6-point star.
Source: Lloyds 1912 , flag no.350
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 May 2009

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 10 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 2600 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland.
Source:Lloyd 1933, p.10 , image no.52
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Hochseefischerei F.Albert Pust

[Hochseefischerei F.Albert Pust#1] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 May 2012

The company was located in Geestemünde.
Description of flag:
It was a white swallow tail pennant. Divided by two narrow, horizontal stripes. In the cnetre of the big white field was a red cross patty surrounded by black iniatials "F" (upper hoist), "A" (upper fly), "P" (lower hoist) and "G" (lower fly).
Source: Lloyds 1912 ; p.51 , flag no.302
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 May 2012

Variant

[Hochseefischerei F.Albert Pust#2]

The company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 7 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 1600 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. The flag variant displays dotted initials.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.10 , image no.53
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


Reederei Siebert & Co.

[Reederei Siebert & Co.] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The small company was based in Wesermünde-Geestemünde and ran 4 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 950 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea, the White Sea and around Iceland. In the middle of the blue flag was a white disc displaying a blue, unserifed initial "S".
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.15 , image no.98
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014


"Visurgis" Heringsfischerei Aktiengesellschaft

["Visurgis" Heringsfischerei AG] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 May 2012

The company was located in Nordenham. "Visurgis" is the Latin name of river Weser. The flag was divided per saltire into blue and white. In the centre was a white, edgeless disc with a blue capital "V" prolonged by two horizontal stripes at the top.
Source: Lloyds 1912 , flag no.1183
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 May 2012


Hochseefischerei J. Wieting

[Hochseefischerei J. Wieting#1] image by Ivan Sache, 27 Apr 2008

Lloyd's Book of House Flags and Funnels 1912 shows the house flag of Hochseefischerei J. Wieting A.G. (#320, p. 52), a company based in Bremerhaven, as white with a black "W" in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 27 Apr 2008

[Hochseefischerei J. Wieting#2] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014

The small company was based in Nordenham and ran 2 fishing trawlers in 1933, having altogether a tonnage of 520 GRT. The company operated in the North Sea and around Iceland. The variant displays a different "W", having two additional v-shaped lines in the middle.
Source: Lloyd 1933, p.10 , image no54.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Mar 2014