This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Schorndorf (Germany)

Stadt Schorndorf, Rems-Murr-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: schorndorf | attire | spades(crossed) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Schorndorf city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Oct 2013 See also:

City of Schorndorf

Schorndorf City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a yellow - red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 11 July 2003 at the local railway station.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Oct 2013

Schorndorf Banner reported 1998

[Schorndorf banner 1998] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Oct 2013

Description of banner:
It is a yellow - red vertical bicolour. The bannerhead is divided per fess into yellow over red. In the yellow half is a black attire, in the red half a white pair of spades crossed per saltire.
Source: Hermann Baumhauer: "Baden-Württemberg - Portrait einer Kulturlandschaft", Stuttgart 1998, ISBN 3-8062-13326-7
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Oct 2013

Schorndorf Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a red shield are two golden (= yellow) spades with metal fittings of the same colour. They are crossed per saltire. The shield has a golden (= yellow) chief superimposed by a black attire.
Meaning:
Schorndorf was founded around 1250 by the Counts of Württemberg and the city was fortified around 1290. The oldest seal is known since 1293 and until the late 18th century all seals show the two crossed spades. The spades (local German: Schoren) are a canting element and had been a local symbol since the 17th century. They are also a symbol for the cultivation of soil in the 10th century. The attire of Württemberg appears for the first time in the late 13th century on the base, and on the chief since 1573. From 1312 to 1573, when Schorndorf was a dominion of the Imperial City of Esslingen, the spades were removed. The metal fittings of the wooden spades temporarily had been silver or blue.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.94

According to Stadler the colours are known since 1535, according to the city archive since 1615.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Oct 2013


back to Rems-Murr cities and municipalities click here