This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Salzhausen Comprehensive Municipality (Germany)

Samtgemeinde Salzhausen, Kreis Harburg, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-06-21 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: salzhausen sg | salzhausen | eyendorf | garstedt(salzhausen) | wulfsen | church(tower) | millwheel | horse(forcene) | warrior | inescutcheon | lion(blue) | triband | tower | wulf |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Samtgemeinde Salzhausen] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Nov 2008 See also:

Salzhausen Comprehensive Municipality

Salzhausen consists of the municipalities Eyendorf , Garlstorf, Garstedt, Gödenstorf, Salzhausen proper, Toppenstedt, Vierhöfen and Wulfsen.

SG Salzhausen Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio of flag is 3:5. It is a horizontal yellow over blue over yellow triband. The ratio of stripes is 1:3:1. In the centre of the blue stripe is the coat of arms of the comprehensive municipality.
Source: Stefan Schwoon's database
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Nov 2008

SG Salzhausen Coat of Arms

[Samtgemeinde Salzhausen CoA]] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Nov 2008

Description of coat of arms: The shield is divided per pall reversed. All fields are golden (=yellow). In the first field is a black wheel of a watermill with twelve spokes. In the second field is a black horse forcene. In the third field is a red tower with a blue roof.
Meaning: The tower is that one of the local church of St.John, erected in 1643. The black horse and the wheel are probably taken from the coat of arms of Luhmühlen. Luhmühlen is part of the municipality of Salzhausen.
Source: Stefan Schwoon's database
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Nov 2008


Eyendorf Municipality

Eyendorf Municipal Flag

[Eyendorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 June 2017

It is a red over yellow horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 June 2017

Eyendorf Coat of Arms

Shield quartered of Or and Gules, an inescutcheon Argent, parted by a bend sinister Azure, superimposed by an embattled tower Sable.
Meaning:
The blue bend sinister id representing Nordbach (= Northern creek), the natural boundary between Eyendorf, Salzhausen, Gödenstorf and Oelstorf. The four municipalities belong to a common horse racing association and to the same parish. This is symbolised by the quartered shield. The tower is representing the water tower of Eyendorf, built in 1903, and since 1913 containing a memorial tablet, reminding on the end of the Wars of Liberation, in England known as The German Campaign, in 1813 against French occupation under Napoleon I.
Source: Wilhelm Marquardt and Rolf Sander: "Gemeindewappen des Kreises Harburg", Stelle(Krs.Harburg) 1983; p.40
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 June 2017

Garstedt Municipality

Garstedt Municipal Flag

[Garstedt(Salzhausen) municipal flag] image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 20 Feb 2000 Garstedt is a small town southeast of Hamburg, Kreis Harburg. On this webpage [broken link] of the independent voters (Unabhängige Wählergemeinschaft) of Garstedt appear the flag and coat-of-arms. The flag is a green - white - green triband with arms in the middle of the white stripe.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Feb 2000

Garstedt Coat of Arms

[Garstedt(Salzhausen) coat-of-arms ] image from this webpage [broken link].
Description of coat of arms:
Shield Vert, issuant from base a mount Argent, standing on mount a bearded warrior Argent, holding a spear Or in bend sinister.
Meaning:
The coat-of-arms is canting, as spear in old Germanic was gar.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Feb 2000

Salzhausen Municipality

Salzhausen Municipal Flag

[Salzhausen flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 Oct 2008

Description of flag:
It is a horizontal red over yellow over red triband with the coat of arms in its centre.

Salzhausen Coat of Arms


Description of coat of arms:
In a golden (=yellow) field is a red tower with a blue roof and an inescutcheon at the base. The inescutcheon shows in a golden (=yellow) field a blue rampant lion surrounded by eight red hearts.
Meaning:
The tower is that one of the local church of St.John, erected in 1643. The inescutcheon shows the coat of arms of the Welfen kin. The flag was granted in 1929, accompanied by the words: "Welfen?s loyalty surrounded by the love of their Lower Saxonians", for yellow was the colour of the Welfen kin and red the colour of the Lower Saxonians.
Source: information provided by Dr. Reineke, retired honorary archivist of the municipality.
In 1972 the smaller villages of Luhmühlen, Putensen and Oelstorf merged with Salzhausen and Salzhausen became part of the comprehensive municipalty of the same name.
Source: I spotted this flag in front of a pharmacy in Salzhausen on 25 October 2007
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 Oct 2008


Wulfsen Municipality

Wulfsen Municipal Flag

[Wulfsen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 June 2017

It is a yellow over white horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 June 2017

Wulfsen Coat of Arms

Shield parted abased per fess; above Or a wolf salient Sable, tongued Gules and collared Argent; beneath Azure a watermill's wheel Argent with eight paddles.
Meaning:
The wulf is a canting element, but, when collared, in German heraldry it usually should be a dog. The millwheel is reminding on the former local watermill. Yellow and white are the old livery colours of the Kingdom of Hannover, to which the county belonged until 1866.
Source: Wilhelm Marquardt and Rolf Sander: "Gemeindewappen des Kreises Harburg", Stelle(Krs.Harburg) 1983; p.78
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 June 2017


back to Harburg cities and municipalities click here