This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Elsfleth City (Germany)

Stadt Elsfleth, Landkreis Wesermarsch, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: elsfleth | cross(centred) | bar(red) | cross(moline) | cutter | star(6-point) | horseshoe | mullet | fish |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Elsfleth city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017 See also:

Current Flag

Description of current flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over red horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: 2(2) of Hauptsatzung of Elsfleth City, version 10 July 2012
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017

Former Flag (1931 - 1974)

[Elsfleth city flag (1931 - 1974)] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017

Description of former flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It was a blue flag, divided by a throughout red centred cross. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
The former flag was approved in 1931.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017

Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
Shield quartered of Or and Azure, 1st quarter two bars Gules, 2nd quarter a cross Moline fitchy Or, 3rd quarter issuant from wave peaks Argent of waves Azure a cutter Or flagged Gules, in the upper dexter corner a 6-point star Or, 4th quarter a mullet Gules surrounded by a horseshoe of the same.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017

Former Coat of Arms (1911 - 1974)

Description of coat of arms:
Shield quartered of Or and Azure, 1st quarter two bars Gules, 2nd quarter a cross Moline fitchy Or, 3rd quarter issuant from wave peaks Argent of waves Azure a cutter Or flagged Gules, in the upper dexter corner a 6-point star Or, 4th quarter a fish salient Gules.
Meaning:
Elsfleth gained city rights in 1856 and the right to use proper symbols (arms and seal) in 1911 by the Grand-Duke of Oldenburg. The upper half of the arms is derived from the arms of the Grand-Duchy of Oldenburg. The cutter is symbolising the importance of shipping for the city. The lower half shs in the third quarter a cutter (ship), symbol of the importance of shipping for the town, the yacht harbour and the local shipyards. The star is the Pole Star, symbol of navigation. Horseshoe and mullet are symbolising the (historical) importance of horse breeding in the region. The fish in the former arms is symbolising local fishing and fish processing. The current arms were approved in 1974. The former arms were granted on 8 July 1911 by the Grand-Duke of Oldenburg. The former flag was approved in 1931.
Sources: Ralf Hartemink's webpage and Stadler 1970, p.37
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017


back to Wesermarsch cities and municipalities click here.