This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Berne Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Berne, Landkreis Wesermarsch, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: berne | parted per fess | horsehead | boat |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Berne municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017 See also:

Current Flag

Description of current flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over yellow horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Sources: 2(2) of Hauptsatzung of Berne Municipality, version 26 June 2012 and this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017

Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
Shield parted per fess, above Or two connected horse heads Gules averted bridled Argent, in base Azure a boat Or with rudder of the same, issuant from stormy waves Argent.
Meaning:
Berne had been a market town already in the 12th century. It had been capital and seat of a parish of Stedingen. The Counts of Oldenburg built around 1234 a castle, around which the town developed. The village historically belonged to the estate and municipality of Stedingen. Berne became a separate municipality after the WW2. The two horse heads are a symbol for the importance of horse breeding in Stedingen for many centuries. The boat is a symbol for ship-building and sailing as main business lines. The colours red, gold and blue are derived from the arms of the Counts of Oldenburg.
As no historical arms were known, new arms were designed and approved on 24 March 1950.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.24
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 July 2017


back to Wesermarsch cities and municipalities click here.