This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Unterallgäu County (Germany)

Kreis Unterallgäu, Schwaben District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: unterallgaeu | mindelheim county | rose(golden) | fleur de lis(blue) | base | lozengy(white-blue) | chief | coupeaux(2) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Unterallgäu County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 27 Aug 2001
approved 12 Sep 1974
See also:

Unterallgäu County

Blue-yellow-blue stripes, 12.09.1974. The capital of the county is Mindelheim. The former counties Memmingen and Mindelheim merged into Unterallgäu county during the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on September 12, 1974.

"The dexter half shows the rose of the arms of the Imperial Abbey of Ottobeuren, which ruled the for many years the southern part of the county. The fleur de lis is derived from the arms of the Fugger family, which ruled several estates in the county. In the 17th century the Dukes of Bavaria from the Wittelsbach dynasty acquired several estates, and the whole area became part of Bavaria in 1814. This is symbolised by the lozenges of Bavaria in the base of the shield.

Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996

Stefan Schwoon, 27 Aug 2001

This is a rare case, in which the arms are not derived from those of former, constituent counties; compare with the arms —also at the International Civic Arms website— of Memmingen (see: Stadler 1972, p.117) and Mindelheim (see: Stadler 1964, p.63)

Santiago Dotor, 11 Feb 2004

Mindelheim County Banner until 1972

[Mindelheim County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 16 Aug 2001
approved 26 February 1962

Yellow-black-yellow. Became part of Unterallgäu county during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.63
Stefan Schwoon, 27 Aug 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 26 February 1962. The lower part of the arms is derived from the arms of the Frundsberg kin. In 1467 the family acquired the County of Mindelheim and ruled the area until 1617, when it became part of Bavaria. The lozenges in the chief are the arms of Bavaria.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.63
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003


back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here