This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Kappeln on Schlei (Germany)

Stadt Kappeln, Kreis Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kappeln | st. christopher | jesus christ | herrings(6) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Kappeln city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 14 Apr 2006
adopted 31 July 1963 See also:

City of Kappeln

Kappeln City Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The red sheet is limited at the top- and bottom-edge by a blue and a white stripes (the blue ones are outward bound). The coat of arms is in the red stripe and shifted to the hoist.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 Dec 2012

Kappeln City Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
St. Christopher, bearded silver (= white) and coated red, bearing Jesus Christ is standing in the water on the base of the shield. He is flanked by six blue herrings, three on either side.
Meaning:
The village was first mentioned in 1357 as location of a chapel (German: Kapelle), which was dedidcated to St. Nicolas, the patron saint of seafarers. But in 1870, when Kappeln gained the rank of a market town, St. Christopher, the patron saint of the ferrymen appeared in the seal, flanked by the herrings, symbolizing the local fishery. St. Christopher's image before had been on top of the local chapel since 1793 being in function of a weather cock. The seal was modified and became a coat of arms in 1959 and was adopted in 1963.
Sources: Reißmann 1997,p.200 and Stadler 1970,p.102

Flag and coat of arms were adopted on 31 July 1963. The artist is Wilhelm Horst Lippert from Brunsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 Dec 2012


back to Schleswig-Flensburg cities and municipalities click here.