This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bornhöved Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Bornhöved, Kreis Segeberg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bornhoeved subcounty | bornhoeved | damsdorf | goennebek | schmalensee | stocksee | tensfeld | trappenkamp | inescutcheon | nettle leaf | head | fountain | antler | millstone | bowl | sapling | stomps(2) | sheaf | logboat | sundew | ammon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Municipality of Bornhöved

Bornhöved Municipal Flag

[Bornhöved municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 22 Jun 2006
approved 21 August 1995

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013

Bornhöved Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a red inescutcheon bearing a silver (= white) nettle leaf. Above is a man's head, blonde and curled. Between head and inescutcheon is a small vessel, being a fountain. Out of the vessel six thin wavy lines are going down, three on either side of the inescutcheon.
Meaning:
The arms are canting. The meaning of the municipality's name is "head of fountains". The rivers Eider, Stör and Schwentine have their origin in Bornhöved. The inescutcheon is alluding to the counts of Holstein and a few historical events: In 798 the Saxons had been defeated on the Schwentinefeld by Franconian king Karl der Große (Charlemagne) and his allies from the Slavic tribe of Abodrites, who afterwards settled down here. On 22 July 1227 Count Adolf IV of Holstein and other North German princes and cities defeated at the same place the Danish King Waldemar II. In the middle ages the assembly of the gentry of Holstein gathered in Bornhöved. Finally in 1813 here was a rencounter between Danish local troops and joint forces of Sweden, Russia and Prussia. The arms are based upon an old seal. Obviously in the middle ages Bornhöved at the rights of a city for some time.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.99

The flag was approved on 21 August 1995. The coat of arms was approved on 15 May 1948.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013


Municipality of Damsdorf

Damsdorf Municipal Flag

[Damsdorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 21 Jun 2006
approved 4 September 1995

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013

Damsdorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister into silver (= white) over red. Above right is a green antler of fallow deer. Below left is a silver (= white) millstone.
Meaning:
The colours are those of Holstein. The antler is a canting element. The German word for fallow deer is Damwild. The antler furthermore symbolizes riches of deer and the landscape. The millstone is symbolizing agriculture, especially a windmill producing grain and pearl barley. The existence of the mill, which had been demolished in 1941, is attested since the 18th century.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.120

The flag was approved on 4 September 1995. The coat of arms was approved on 3 June 1992. The artist is Günter Rix from Damsdorf.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013


Municipality of Gönnebek

Gönnebek Municipal Flag

[Gönnebek municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Jul 2006
approved 20 September 2004

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013

Gönnebek Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided by a silver (= white) fess wavy, having just one wave, into blue over green. In the green field is a golden (= yellow) bowl.
Meaning:
The bowl was found during archaeological excavations on the area of the municipality. The silver colour is symbolizing heather. There is no further information given.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 20 September 2004. The coat of arms was approved on 29 June 2004. The artist is Gisela Gördes from Ascheberg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013


Municipality of Schmalensee

Schmalensee Municipal Flag

[Schmalensee municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 21 Jul 2006
approved 7 March 1996

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013

Schmalensee Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided into red over blue by a silver (= white) barrulet wavy. The whole is superimposed by a golden (= yellow), rooted sapling with five leaves.
Meaning:
The sapling is taken from the arms of the eastern branch of the Schmalensee family (the arms of the local branch are not known). The colours are those of Schleswig-Holstein. The barrulet wavy is symbolizing Schmaler See (English: narrow lake).
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.307

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 7 March 1996. The artist is Lothar Leissner from Itzhoe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013


Municipality of Stocksee

Stocksee Municipal Flag

[Stocksee municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Jul 2006
approved 7 September 2000

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013

Stocksee Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess wavy. Above in a silver (= white) field is a green sheaf flanked by two red stomps of tree. Below in a blue field is a silver (= white) logboat.
Meaning:
The logboat is from the late middle ages and was found during excavations in 1985. The stomps are canting, representing the prefix "Stock-". The blue colour and the wavy line are symbolizing the local lake. The sheaf is symbolizing agriculture.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.330

The flag was approved on 7 September 2000. The coat of arms was approved on 12 December 1989. The artist is Henning Höppner from Plön.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013


Municipality of Tensfeld

Tensfeld Municipal Flag

[Tensfeld municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 28 Jun 2006
approved 3 February 2001

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013

Tensfeld Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister wavy argent (= white) and vert (= green) countercharged with a sundew and an ammonite.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 26 Jan 2013
Meaning:
The wavy line and the colours are symbolizing the landscape. The sundew is a typical plant in the local swamps. The ammonite is symbolizing the digging for gravel, which is a business line since 1914.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 3 February 2001. The coat of arms was approved on 12 October 2000. The artist is Gisela Gördes from Ascheberg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013


Municipality of Trappenkamp

Trappenkamp Municipal Flag

[Trappenkamp municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 28 Jun 2006
approved 25 April 1983

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a green over yellow over green horizontal triband with ratio approx. 1:5:1. The coat of arms is in the yellow stripe and slightly shifted to the top.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013

Trappenkamp Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per chevron into green over golden (= yellow).
Meaning:
The yellow colour is symbolizing a settlement, built up by forest clearance. The forest is symbolized by the green colour. Protected by the woods since 1936 an armoury of the German Navy (Reichsmarine) was erected in the Gönnebek Heather, which belonged to the municipality of Rickling. The name was taken from a district of the neighbouring municipality of Tarbek. After the end of WW2 the location became a settlement of expellees. Since 1946 the famous glassblowers from Gablonz (Bohemia/ Sudetenland) settled down here. But economic difficulties complicated the development of a local glass and finery industry. The glass kiln finally was incorporated into the municipality of Bornhöved in 1949. In 1956 Trappenkamp became an independent municipality.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.346

The flag was approved on 25 April 1983. The coat of arms was approved on 17 February 1972. The artist is Wilhelm Horst Lippert from Brunsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 Jan 2013


back to Segeberg cities and municipalities click here.