This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hohe Elbgeest Subcounty (Germany)

Amt Hohe Elbgeest, Kreis Herzogtum Lauenburg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: hohe elbgeest | aumuehle | boernsen | dassendorf | hamwarde | hohenhorn | kroeppelshagen-fahrendorf | wiershop | wohltorf |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Hohe Elbgeest subcounty flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 30 Aug 2006
approved 25 Jun 2002 See also:

Amt Hohe Elbgeest

Hohe Elbgeest Subcounty Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a red flag. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.

Hohe Elbgeest Subcounty Coat of Arms


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Mar 2013

Description of coat of arms:
On the sinister chiefpoint of a silver (= white) shield is a red quarter of a disc. Eight blue narrowing "pales" meet behind the disc.
Meaning:
The pales are symbolizing the municipalities oft he subcounty. Those are Börnsen, Dassendorf, Escheburg, Hamwarde, Hohenhorn, Kröppelshagen-Fahrendorf, Wiershop and Worth. The disc is symbolizing the subcounty. The arms are based upon the logo oft he subcounty.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 25 June 2002 . The coat of arms was approved on 16 January 2001. The artist is Ulrich Zündel from Hamburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Mar 2013


Municipality of Aumühle

Aumühle Municipal Flag

[Aumühle municipal flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Sep 2007
approved 19 June 2003

Description of flag:
The flags ratio is 3:5. It is a green over white over black horizontal tricolour with the coat of arms in its centre.
Source: 1 of Hauptsatzung of the Municipality of Aumühle version 19 June 2003

Aumühle Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In the centre of a green shield is a black wheel of a watermill within a silver (=white) roundel. A silver (=white) pall reversed wavy lines is connecting the roundel with the shields edges. The roundel is also surrounded by three silver (=white) oak leaves.
Meaning:
The green colour is symbolizing the beauty of the landscape and the woods. The wavy lines are marking the creeks Bille and Au, which are merging in Aumühle, running a watermill (at least in the past). The oak leaves are added, because the family of Otto von Bismarck lives in Aumühle still today.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Sep 2007
Aumühle is located on the edge of Sachsenwald, a local forest. The green colour is symbolizing the beauty of the landscape. In the region the little rivers Bille and Au have a confluescence and are driving a watermill. The additional leaves are taken from the arms of the von Bismarck family. Friedrichsruh, the seat of Otto von Bismarck was incorporated into Aumühle in 1929. Their number is also symbolizing the settlement cores of Aumühle proper, Billenkamp and Friedrichsruh.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.78

The coat of arms was approved on 31 August 1948. The artist is Wilhelm Victor Taubner from Reinbek.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Mar 2013


Municipality of Börnsen

Börnsen Municipal Flag

[Börnsen municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Sep 2006
approved 27 Oct 1995

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a white flag bordered by blue, horizontal stripes at top and bottom. The coat of arms is in the middle of the white stripe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Mar 2013

Börnsen Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a red shield is a silver (= white) drawing well. On the sinister chiefpoint is a horsehead of the same colour.
Meaning:
The meaning of Börnsen is "location with a fountain", thus the well is a canting element. Börnsen was first mentioned in 1217.The church in Bergedorf here owned two acres. In 1325 Duke Erich I of Saxe-Lauenburg sold Börnsen to the monastery in Reinbek. The horsehead symbolizes that the municipality belongs to Duchy of Lauenburg County.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.93

The flag was approved on 27 October 1995. The coat of arms was approved on 16 November 1959. The artist is Otto Laubschat from Schönningstedt.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Mar 2013


Municipality of Dassendorf

Dassendorf Municipal Flag

[Dassendorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 2 Sep 2006
approved 6 Feb 1984

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a black - yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Mar 2013

Dassendorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale into black and golden (= yellow). The dexter side displays three golden (= yellow) leaves of oak. The sinister side displays a black wolf trap..
Meaning:
The leaves are symbolizing the wood settlement, the trap the old settlement core of the village. The wood settlement is based on a complex of allotment gardens. Many people from Hamburg settled down here for good after WW2. The colours are those of the Askanian kin, the former dukes of Saxe-Lauenburg. The trap is taken from the arms of the Uhrbrock family, administrators of Dassendorf from 1593 until 1876.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.121

The flag was approved on 6 February 1984. The coat of arms was approved on 13 January 1983. The artist is Hans Erwin Krause from Wentorf bei Hamburg
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Mar 2013


Municipality of Hamwarde

Hamwarde Municipal Flag

[Hamwarde municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 5 Sep 2006
approved 15 Mar 2005

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013

Hamwarde Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per bend sinister into gold (= yellow) over green. Above right is a red windmill issuant. Below left is a golden (= yellow) horsehead.
Meaning:
Mill and horsehead are symbolizing the rural environment. The mill existed from 1800 to 1950 on a nearby hill. Some rests are still today existing.
Source: Municipal Roll of Arms Schleswig-Holstein Online

The flag was approved on 15 March 2005. The coat of arms was approved on 11 April 2002. The artist is Ulrich Zündel from Hamburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013


Municipality of Hohenhorn

Hohenhorn Municipal Flag

[Hohenhorn municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 9 Sep 2006
approved 21 Dec 1995

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013

Hohenhorn Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a golden (= yellow) shield is a green hill, superimposed by a golden (= yellow) plough. The hill is crowned by a black monument, which is flanked by two stonewalls of the same colour. On both outer chiefpoint is a green leaf of linden.
Meaning:
The leaves are symbolizing the trees on the village square. Their number is representing the settlement cores of Hohenhorn proper and Drumshorn. The plough is symbolizing the importance of agriculture in present ans past. The monument is reminding on the agricultural reforms in the kingdom of Hannover in the 18th century. The commitment to cultivate crops in a certain succession (German: Flurzwang) was abolished in 1785 and the common was divided among the farmers.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.182 Flag and coat of arms were approved on 21 December 1995. The artists are Siegbert Herbst and Walter Lehmann.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013


Municipality of Kröppelshagen-Fahrendorf

Kröppelshagen-Fahrendorf Municipal Flag

[Kröppelshagen-Fahrendorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Sep 2006
approved 9 Dec 1995

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013

Kröppelshagen-Fahrendorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess into black over gold (= yellow). Above is a golden (= yellow) antler. Below is a branch of blackthorn with green leaves and black berries.
Meaning:
The colours are those of the Dukes of Saxe-Lauenburg from the Askanian kin, rulers until 1689. The antler is symbolizing riches of wood and deer in the nearby Sachsenwald forest. The blackthorn had been used as fences of the local deer parks. The division of the shield reminds on the merger of both parts in 1874, though Fahrendorf was controlled by the administrator in Kröppelshagen already since 1779.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.213

The flag was approved on 19 December 1995. The coat of arms was approved on 24 March 1980. The artist is Hans Erwin Krause from Wentorf bei Hamburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013


Municipality of Wiershop

Wiershop Municipal Flag

[Wiershop municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Sep 2006

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. The white flag is bordered by narrow, green, horizontal stripes on top and bottom. The coat of arms without shield is in the white stripe and shifted to the hoist.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013

Wiershop Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield is a green triangle pointing downwards. The pile is superimposed by a silver (= white) fleur de lis. Eleven green linden leaves are stuck on the edge of the triangle.
Meaning:
Wiershop is one of the smallest (less than 100 inhabitants) and oldest (mentioned in 1230) villages in the historical Sadelbande region. The fleur de lis is taken from the arms of the Schack family, owners of Gülzow Manor. The triangle is alluding to the counts of Kielmannsegg, owners of Gülzow Manor from 1736 to 1930. It is also symbolizing the lawn on the village square, which is surrounded by linden trees.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.369

Flag and coat of arms were approved on 22 May 1991. The artist is Walter Lehmann from Kollow.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013


Municipality of Wohltorf

Wohltorf Municipal Flag

[Wohltorf municipal flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 8 Sep 2006
approved 22 May 1991

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is red - white - red vertical triband with ratio approx.. 1:x:1. The coat of arms is in the middle of the white stripe.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013

Wohltorf Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The red shield is divided by a silver (= white) fess wavy. Above are three silver (= white) oak leaves ordered per fess. Below are two gable shelves of the same colour topped by horseheads.
Meaning:
The village, its meaning is wood village was generated by forest clearance right in the middle of the Sachsenwald forest in the 13th century. The leaves are alluding to the clearances but also to the arms of the Bismarck family, owners of the Sachsenwald since 1871. The shelves are representing the numerous Lower Saxon farmhouses in the area and are also symbolizing the rural character of the municipality. The fess wavy is symbolizing the Bille River. The colours are those of Holstein.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.374

The flag was approved on 22 May 1991. The coat of arms was approved on 10 September 1954. The artist is Otto Laubschat from Schönningstedt
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Mar 2013


back to Herzogtum Lauenburg cities and municipalities click here.