This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Schiltach (Germany)

Stadt Schiltach, Kreis Rottweil, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: schiltach | inescutcheons(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Schiltach city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013 See also:

City of Schiltach

Schiltach City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 20 June 2004 on the local market square.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013

Schiltach Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield are three plain, red inescutcheons ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
Schiltach gained city rights in the 13th century, granted either by the Lords of Geroldseck or the Dukes of Teck. The former ruled castle and city until 1277, the latter from 1277-1371. From 1371-1381 it was ruled by the Dukes of Urslingen, who also held the title of the Dukes of Spoleto. Since 1381 the city was part of Württemberg. The oldest seal from the late 15th century displays the arms of the Dukes of Urslingen, the three red shields. The Ducal dynasty became extinct in 1444, but the arms were continued by the city, probably also because of the shields were considered to be canting. "Inescutcheon" might be translated as "Schildchen". In the 16th century a chief with the antler of Württemberg was added but removed in the 18th century, as the local fountain from 1751 shows the arms without the antler.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.92
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Apr 2013


back to Rottweil cities and municipalities click here