This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Oberkirch (Germany)

Stadt Oberkirch, Ortenaukreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: oberkirch | church | bend | lion(black) | label |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Oberkirch city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Sep 2013 See also:

City of Oberkirch

Oberkirch City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - white - red vertical triband. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 23 May 2004 at the local railway station.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Sep 2013

Oberkirch Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale into blue and gold (= yellow). The dexter side displays a silver (= white) church on top of a green triple mount. The sinister side displays a black, rampant lion tongued red and superimposed by a red label having four flaps. The red chief is divided in the centre by a silver (= white) bend.
Meaning:
Oberkirch was purchased by the bishops of Straßburg in 1303 and gained city rights in 1326. The oldest seal from 1318, prints exist since 1338, just displays the church on a hill, a canting image (the name means "upper church").
The arms now display the church in the dexter half, under the arms of the bishops of Straßburg, which differ from the arms of the city only in colour. The lion is taken from the arms of the Blankenheim kin and is also used by the city of Blankenheim (Ahr). In 1570 Johann IV Count of Manderscheid-Blankenheim, Bishop of Straßburg, granted the current coat of arms to the city. He added the arms of the bishopric as chief and his family arms in the sinister half.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.81

Banner(?) and coat of arms were approved in 1969 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg(?). The banner is in use since 1926.


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Sep 2013


back to Ortenau cities and municipalities click here