This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Offenburg (Germany)

Stadt Offenburg, Ortenaukreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: offenburg | castle | gate(open) | bannerhead |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Offenburg city banner#1] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013 See also:

City of Offenburg

Offenburg City Banner#1

Description of banner:
It is a white - red -white vertical triband. A modified coat of arms is shifted to the top. The coat of arms is topped by an inscription in black initials "OFFENBURG" in a black frame.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 27 September 2003 on the balcony of the town hall.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013

Offenburg City Banner#2

[Offenburg city banner#2] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013

Description of banner:
It is a white - red -white vertical triband. A modified coat of arms is in the centre of a white bannerhead. The arms are topped by an inscription in black initials "OFFENBURG" in a black frame.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 27 September 2003 in front of the town hall.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013

Offenburg Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield is a red castle with an open gate with golden (= yellow) wings. On the banners the castle (pattern 2009, simplified in comparison with the former arms) was however white with red fimbriations.
Meaning:
Offenburg was a free imperial city from the 13th century until 1803, when the city became a part of Baden. The town was granted city rights in the 13th century. Between 1240 and 1803 the city was pawned several times, e.g. to the Margraves of Baden, the Counts of Fürstenberg and the Archdukes of Austria. The arms display the image seen on the oldest seal of the city, which is probably made around 1260 with prints since 1280. All seals and images of the arms of the city have used the simple castle with the open gate. The arms thus are canting, for Offenburg means "open castle". The tinctures are the same since the 16th century, perhaps alluding to the Holy Roman Empire.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.83

The arms were redesigned in 2009.


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013


back to Ortenau cities and municipalities click here