This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Kehl (Germany)

Stadt Kehl, Ortenaukreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kehl | anchor | rose(red) | roses(2) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Kehl city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013
approved 11 July 2003 See also:

City of Kehl

Kehl City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 22 May 2004 at the entrance of a gardeners' show ground.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013

Kehl Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield is a black anchor flanked by two red, heraldic roses.
Meaning:
The imperial fortress of Kehl had been an imperial fiefdom of the Margraves of Baden. Margrave Karl Friedrich of Baden granted the fortress near the village of Kehl city rights in 1774. The fortress became known as the city of Kehl, whereas the village remained Kehl-Dorf. From 1808-1814 the city, lying opposite of Straßburg, was part of France, and since 1814 part of Baden.
The oldest seal of Kehl is known since 1612 and shows in a complicated shield the arms of the three local vassals of the Margraves of Baden. After Kehl received city rights a new seal was made, which showed the imperial eagle and within an inescutcheon the bend of Baden.
The anchor was symbolizing shipping and the local harbour. Besides the city of Kehl, the nearby village of Kehl used a different seal in 1811 showing a shield with a wheel with four spokes. The present arms appear for the first time in the seal of the city in 1829. When city and village of Kehl merged in 1910, the new arms displayed the anchor, the two roses were replaced by a red wheel having four spokes, superimposing the anchor. The wheel had been proven as a symbol of the village since 1810. The tinctures were fixed in 1899. In 1934 the city replaced these arms by the arms with the two roses. The origin of the roses is unknown.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.57

The banner was approved on 11 July 2003 by Regierungspräsidium Freiburg, published in GABl 619/2003.


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013


back to Ortenau cities and municipalities click here