This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Gengenbach (Germany)

Stadt Gengenbach, Ortenaukreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: gengenbach | eagle(black) | inescutcheon | fish(cambered) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Gengenbach city banner#1] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013 See also:

City of Gengenbach

Gengenbach City Banner#1

Description of banner:
It is a red - white - red vertical triband. The coat of arms is in the centre of a white bannerhead.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 4 July 2004 at the local market square.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013

Gengenbach City Banner#2

[Gengenbach city banner#2] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013

Description of banner:
It is a red - white - red vertical triband. The coat of arms without shield is in the centre of a white bannerhead.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 4 July 2004 at the local town hall.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013

Gengenbach Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (=white) shield is a black eagle tongued red. Upon his breast is a red inescutcheon containing a silver (= white), cambered fish.
Meaning:
In the 12th century Gengenbach was a market town of the Zähringen kin. Afterwards it was a Free Imperial City from 1218 and belonged to Baden since 1803. The city thus was entitled to use the imperial eagle on its seals and arms. The fish alone appears for the first time on a 13th century seal - prints exist since 1267 - and is a canting element (it is described as a Gang-fisch).
On 28 March 1505 Emperor Maximilian granted the above arms, which combine the imperial eagle with the fish on an inescutcheon. The arms have not basically changed since then, except that the colour of the field often was described as gold - the basic colour of the imperial arms instead of silver. In the 19th century the arms and seals were replaced by the old type, but the current pattern was readopted in 1899. The incorporated municipalities of Bermersbach, Reichenbach (1975) and Schwaibach (1971) belonged to the territory of the Imperial City until 1803.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.44

The coat of arms was fixed in 1965.


Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2013


back to Ortenau cities and municipalities click here