This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Bad Windsheim (Germany)

Stadt Bad Windsheim, Kreis Neustadt/Aisch - Bad Windsheim, Mittelfranken District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad windsheim | eagle(black) | initial |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Bad Windsheim city banner]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014
[Bad Windsheim city banner#2]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014
[Bad Windsheim plain city banner]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014
 
 
 

See also:

City of Bad Windsheim

Bad Windsheim Banner

Description of banner:
It is a white - red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top. (image above left)
Source: photo provided by M. Schmöger
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014

Bad Windsheim De Facto Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top. This one is a de facto version. (image above central)
Source: photo provided by M. Schmöger
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014

Bad Windsheim Plain Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - white vertical bicolour, reported by Stadler. (image above right)
Source: Stadler 1965, p.25
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014

Bad Windsheim Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a silver (= white) shield is a black eagle, armed golden (= yellow) with red "fingertips" and tongued red. Upon his breast is a golden (= yellow) initial "W".
Meaning:
In the first half of the 13th century the region around Windsheim was given from the Bishopric of Würzburg under direct imperial rule. Thus we have one of the numerous examples of an imperial eagle. Windsheim gained city rights in 1280. King Adolf pawned the city to the Bishop of Würzburg from 1297 until 1303. Since 1325 it was, with short interruptions, a dominion of the Burgraves of Nürnberg. A print of a seal from 1303, but already mentioned in 1284, displays a king on his throne with a shield bearing an eagle. In a court's seal from 1398 the eagle is alone. In the 18th century the eagle was armed red.The initial was added at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1961 the city gained the title of a spa incl. the prefix "Bad" in the name.
Source: Stadler 1965, p.25

The existence of the arms has been proven since 1303 and was confirmed in 1818. Colour and details in design were fixed in 1965.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Apr 2014


back to Neustadt/Aisch - Bad Windsheim cities and municipalities click here