This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Leer (East Frisia, Germany)

Stadt Leer, Kreis Leer, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: leer | east frisia | initial | rose | mullet(facetted) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Leer triband flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2013 See also:

Leer Triband

Description of flag:
It is a red over white over red horizontal triband. The coat of arms is in the middle of the broad white stripe.
Source: 2(4) of Hauptsatzung of the City of Leer, version 1 March 2012, published in Ostfriesenzeitung (newspaper) on 23 March 2012
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2013

Leer Bicolour with Coat of Arms

[Leer bicolour with CoA] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2013

Description of flag:
It is a red over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2013

Leer Plain Flag reported 1891

[Leer plain flag 1891] 1:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Nov 2011

Description of  flag:
The ratio is given as 1:2. It was a red over white horizontal bicolour. The information is confirmed by Stadler 1970, p.55.
Source:H.Ahrens "Hannoversche Landschafts-und Städtewappen", 1891, plate XX
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 23 Nov 2011

Leer Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue shield is a silver (= white) initial "L" crowned by a rose flanked by two facetted, 6-point mullets, all of the same colour.
Meaning:
In the 16th century under the rule of the Cirksena kin Leer gained market privileges ansd in 1585 a market charter (Fleckensordnung) was edited. Probably since then the town was entitled to use own seals. The oldest seal from 1632 already displays the current pattern. Stars and rose probably had been local symbols. The town gained city rights in 1823 and used from 1861 until 1950 a different coat of arms: a silver castle in a red shield topped by a passant Guelfish lion and the whole superimposed by a red inescutcheon displaying the Saxonian horse.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.55

The current coat of arms was approved in 1950 by minister of interior of Lower Saxony.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Dec 2013


back to Leer cities and municipalities click here