This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Landshut County (Niederbayern District, Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Landshut

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by german editorial team
Keywords: landshut county | rottenburg county | vilsbiburg county | chief | lozengy(white-blue) | lion(silver) | quadruple mount | castle(red) | rose(silver) | base | fess | demi-panther |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Landau County banner (Germany)] 2:1 image by Stefan Schwoon, 27 Sep 2001
See also:

Landau County

According to Linder and Schmidt 2000 Landshut uses an unofficial flag which cannot become official since it does not conform to the guidelines of the state archives: a hanging white flag with a row of blue lozenges at the top and bottom and the coat of arms in the centre. The flag is drawn according to the proportions of a sketch which Erich Dieter Linder got from the county offices.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.54
Stefan Schwoon, 27 Sep 2001

The coat of arms was approved on 25 August 1960 and confirmed on 23 May 1973. The chief displays the arms of Bavaria. These are identical to the arms of the Wittelsbach kin, who overtook the arms from the Counts of Bogen in 1242. Here the diamonds indicate three historical items: Ludmilla von Bogen founded a monastery in Seligenthal in the county. Secondly, the city of Landshut was founded by the Wittelsbach family and a branch of the family named themselves after Landshut. Finally the lozenges indicate the fact that the county is still part of Bavaria. The main field displays the arms of the Counts of Preysing, who were one of the most important noble families in the county.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.54
Santiago Dotor, 10 Dec 2003

Rottenburg County Banner until 1972

[Rottenburg County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 31 July 2001
approved 7 September 1960

Red-white. This county was later divided between Kelheim and Landshut, which received the major part.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.78
Stefan Schwoon, 31 July 2001

Flag and arms were approved on 7 September 1960. The shield displays in a silver (= white) field a canting red castle (German: Rote Burg), which is also part of the arms of the city of Rottenburg. The silver rose is taken from the arms of the 13th century Counts of Moosburg, who had many estates in the area and who added the title Von Rottenburg to their name. In the late 13th century the possessions were sold to the Dukes of Bavaria.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.78
Santiago Dotor, 1 July 2003

Vilsbiburg County Banner until 1972

[Vilsbiburg County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 31 July 2001
approved 17 March 1960

Red-white. Vilsbiburg County was incorporated into Landshut County during the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.92
Stefan Schwoon, 31 July 2001

Flag and arms were approved on 17 March 1960. The blue base, superimposed by a silver (= white) fess, displays the arms of the Counts of Hals, who ruled the County of Geisenhausen, now part of the current county. This county became part of Bavaria in 1390. The other part of the current county was ruled by the Counts of Kraiburg, whose arms, a red demi-panther issuant, are shown in the main field of the arms. They were replaced by the Counts of Bavaria around 1250.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.92
Santiago Dotor, 1 July 2003


back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here