This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kitzingen County (Germany)

Kreis Kitzingen, Unterfranken District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kitzingen county | bridge | inescutcheons(2) | franconian rake | quartered | grapes | paly | bannerhead |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Kitzingen County banner (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 9 Oct 2001
approved 22 January 1958, abolished 30th June 1972
See also:

Kitzingen County Banner

White-red stripes. The former Kitzingen county was enlarged by the (previously independent) city of Kitzingen and part of Gerolzhofen county in the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996
Stefan Schwoon, 9 Oct 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The new arms were granted on23 October 1974. The bridge is taken from the arms of the city of Kitzingen. The two shields are the arms of Franconia and the quartered shield of the Princes of Castell. This shield is derived from the arms of the former county of Gerolzhofen, as several municipalities were transferred from Gerolzhofen to Kitzingen in 1973. The grapes are symbolizing the importance of viticulture in the county.
Literature: [presumably Linder and Olzog 1996]
Santiago Dotor, 27 Jan 2004

Kitzingen County Banner until 1972

[Kitzingen County banner 1972 (Germany)] 5:2 image by Stefan Schwoon, 10 Aug 2001
approved 22 January 1958

White-red with the arms in a white bannerhead. Kitzingen county was enlarged by the (previously independent) city of Kitzingen and part of Gerolzhofen county and adopted new symbols after the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.51

Stefan Schwoon, 16 August 2001

The old coat of arms was approved on 25 February 1955. The quartered black and silver shield in the first quarter is the arms of the Hohenzollern kin. A large part of the district belonged to the Counts of Brandenburg-Ansbach, who had been a branchline of the Hohenzollern kin. The second quarter, five times divided per pale into silver and blue, shows the arms of the Lords von Seinsheim, who had their castle and territory in the county. The lower half displays the Franconian rake, the symbol of the Bishopric of Würzburg, to which a large part of the county belonged in the past.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.51
Santiago Dotor, 17 July 2003


back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here